Old 11-10-2010, 03:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default conifer tree

I moved a pencil like large conifer from one corner to another. i have
noticed that the tree like conifer has or is going brown. What is going on
with it? What do i have to do with it. I soaked it last Saturday for 30/45
mins was that a good move?

tia

Old 11-10-2010, 04:06 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEPHEN View Post
I moved a pencil like large conifer from one corner to another. i have
noticed that the tree like conifer has or is going brown. What is going on
with it? What do i have to do with it. I soaked it last Saturday for 30/45
mins was that a good move?

tia
Some conifers naturally have bits that go brown and fall off. On others, it suggests death, at least of parts of it. The tree no longer has all its roots, so it no longer has the strength to maintain all its foliage, it will probably shed some.

Some species of trees really resent root disturbance and are likely to die if you try to move them - cedar, eucalyptus are well known cases. With more forgiving species, it is usually to do it in winter when the tree is dormant, or in early autumn when the tree is generating root growth rather than above-ground growth. If you didn't bring enough roots with you, or did it when it was highly active above ground, these could be reasons for lack of success. Having moved it, you need to water regularly until the roots regrow, typically a full season.

If you want to understand more about it, I suggest to start with finding out what kind of tree you have.
Old 12-10-2010, 10:34 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

STEPHEN;902455 Wrote: I moved a pencil like large conifer *from one corner to another. i have

--
echinosum

You say you moved it, you don't say when or how tall it is.
Old 14-10-2010, 07:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It was moved early April and most of the roots were intact, its about 12/15
feet tall?