Old 07-11-2010, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Leaves from Walnut?

As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

Alan

Old 07-11-2010, 09:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2010 21:06, alan.holmes wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

One of the two latter suggestions and don't breathe the smoke.
Juglone isn't all that bad for humans but plants really don't like it.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 07-11-2010, 10:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 07/11/2010 22:48, Martin Brown wrote:
On 07/11/2010 21:06, alan.holmes wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

One of the two latter suggestions and don't breathe the smoke.
Juglone isn't all that bad for humans but plants really don't like it.

Regards,
Martin Brown

Mine just disappear over the course of Winter where they fall. I don't
remember seeing any walnut leaves laying around from previous years.

--
David in Normandy.
by a filter and not reach my inbox.
Old 08-11-2010, 12:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

alan.holmes wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

At the risk of being indelicate, put them in good plastic bags and give
them a few waterings of accelerator.

Just make sure you're not overlooked while you water them.

--
Rusty
Old 08-11-2010, 01:01 AM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan.holmes View Post
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

Alan
Hi Alan,

I have always found the leaves of all and any trees rot down at the same rate. Just make sure they are wetted before adding to the bin, ideally you should layer them with vegetable waste. This will ensure that the breakdown products of the vegetables saturate the leaves. I always use a compost accelerator to speed up the process.

Bosses are people who never quite made it as workers!

PS:- I hope my boss never reads this comment!

uriel13

Old 08-11-2010, 08:14 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Nov 7, 9:06*pm, "alan.holmes" wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

Alan

They will rot down in the compost heap. Even if not completely rotted
you can still dig compost in. Doesn't seem to matter.
Just keep the compost heap damp but keep rain out, that is too much
water which cools the heap down. I use (free) hot water from my solar
heated store when available.
I put in a thin layer of soil (or rotted down compost) in the heap
every 2 feet or so. This introduces the rotting down fungii.
Old 08-11-2010, 08:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/11/2010 01:01, uriel13 wrote:
alan.holmes;904608 Wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

Alan

Hi Alan,

I have always found the leaves of all and any trees rot down at the same
rate. Just make sure they are wetted before adding to the bin, ideally
you should layer them with vegetable waste. This will ensure that the
breakdown products of the vegetables saturate the leaves. I always use a
compost accelerator to speed up the process.

Never found that makes much difference.

My leaves are mostly beech and oak both very full of tannins and take
two years to rot down. I use my green bin for the purpose since I
already compost more stuff than they accept in the green bin scheme.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 08-11-2010, 12:05 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Brown View Post

My leaves are mostly beech and oak both very full of tannins and take
two years to rot down. I use my green bin for the purpose since I
already compost more stuff than they accept in the green bin scheme.
yes, it's amazing how generous councils can be in providing free (albeit un- ventilated) compost bins, wheeled water butts and so on ;-)
__________________
Old 08-11-2010, 03:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Rusty Hinge" wrote in message
alan.holmes wrote:
As usual, the walnut has shed it's leaves into a HUGE pile all over the
garden.

The boss of the house has said that they will not compost quickly, maybe
take several years, so should I try to compost them or just either throw
them out or put them on the bonfire?

At the risk of being indelicate, put them in good plastic bags and give
them a few waterings of accelerator.

Just make sure you're not overlooked while you water them.

Oh I am VERY careful when accelerating compost!

Alan

--
Rusty