Old 06-09-2003, 03:03 PM
george kimes

Default Walnut Leaves Discoloration

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees and the
leaves that fall cause the water to be very dark. Other than covering
the pond with netting, does anyone have some other suggestion?
Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 PM

net the tree? vacuum the tree every day? vacuum the leaves out of the pond every
day?

george kimes wrote:

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees and the
leaves that fall cause the water to be very dark. Other than covering
the pond with netting, does anyone have some other suggestion?

List Manager: Puregold Goldfish List
http://puregold.aquaria.net/
www.drsolo.com
endorsements or recommendations I make.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Nedra

Netting the pond is the only way I know to keep leaves
out of the water. Most of us
on this group net our ponds in the fall of the year.

Nedra

Old 06-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Dave Bell

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, george kimes wrote:

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees and the
leaves that fall cause the water to be very dark. Other than covering
the pond with netting, does anyone have some other suggestion?

My large pond is unfortunately placed, close to a huge, old black walnut,
and I very much feel your pain! I not only contend with the leaves, but at
this time of year, the neghborhood squirrels have the entire yard carpeted
in chewed husks and jagged broken shells... For a small pond, I would go
with a net cover, if at all possible. If it is truly small, how about a
temporary shade cloth covered "gazebo"? One of the garden or camping
shelters made of PVC pipe with a fitted screen cover would keep it very
clean, and could come down once most of the leaves are fallen...

Dave

Old 07-09-2003, 05:12 PM
NJ

"Dave Bell" wrote in message
On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, george kimes wrote:

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees

My large pond is unfortunately placed, close to a huge, old black walnut,
and I very much feel your pain!

My pond is directly under the neighbor's black walnut tree. In addition to
the husks, whole walnuts, and leaves, these trees have a very annoying
trait: they drop entire fronds of leaves at once, and the central stems,
usually a foot long, sink to the bottom of my pond, bypassing the skimmer.
It is annoying, but at least my pond is small. I go out every day, once or
twice, and grab them out of the pond. Being blessed wth gin-clear water all
year makes this far less painful than it might be.

NJ
Zone 5b

Old 08-09-2003, 03:04 AM
~ jan JJsPond.us

You could got thru huge amount of carbon to clear the water, better is the
net. Then there is always a ground level pruning cut. ;o) ~ jan

On Sat, 6 Sep 2003, george kimes wrote:

My very small pond is located under some large walnut trees

See my ponds and filter design:
http://users.owt.com/jjspond/

~Keep 'em Wet!~
Tri-Cities WA Zone 7a
To e-mail see website
Old 08-09-2003, 04:03 AM
Tom La Bron

NJ

I can top that. I have Pecan trees in my yard. In the Spring I have the
discoloration from the Pecan flowers and the trees are dropping limbs all
year. Not just little ones, right now I have one limb about 5 inches in
diameter and about 9 feet long in the yard from last week and this weekend
one dropped that is about 11 inches in diameter and about 25 feet long.
Around my ponds though it is not too bad except the webworms have been bad
to a lot of worm poop keeps raining down on my ponds. So far around my
ponds only small limbs have fallen in, only two to 4 feet long.

Tom L.L.
============

Old 09-09-2003, 02:17 AM
NJ

"Tom La Bron" wrote in message
NJ

I can top that. I have Pecan trees in my yard. In the Spring I have the
discoloration from the Pecan flowers and the trees are dropping limbs all
year. Not just little ones, right now I have one limb about 5 inches in
diameter and about 9 feet long in the yard from last week and this weekend
one dropped that is about 11 inches in diameter and about 25 feet long.
Around my ponds though it is not too bad except the webworms have been bad
to a lot of worm poop keeps raining down on my ponds. So far around my
ponds only small limbs have fallen in, only two to 4 feet long.

Oh my! You win, you win!!!!! But, have I told you the story of the mole I
foolishly rescued from drowning in my skimmer? ;-)

NJ