Old 30-12-2010, 09:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Hibiscus and Mr Worm

We have a hibiscus in a pot on the window sill and masses of powdery soil is
regularly appearing in the saucer coming out from the bottom of the pot.

We are assuming it's a worm? Is it detrimental to the plant in any way and
should it be fished out? One curious aspect is that its pushing out so many
of the little soil granules that the pot no longer even sits upright....
that's a lot of serious pushing out.

Old 30-12-2010, 09:04 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"john brook" wrote in message
We have a hibiscus in a pot on the window sill and masses of powdery soil
is regularly appearing in the saucer coming out from the bottom of the
pot.

We are assuming it's a worm? Is it detrimental to the plant in any way
and should it be fished out? One curious aspect is that its pushing out
so many of the little soil granules that the pot no longer even sits
upright.... that's a lot of serious pushing out.

Seen any ants about?
Pete

Old 31-12-2010, 07:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Dec 30, 9:00*pm, "john brook" wrote:
We have a hibiscus in a pot on the window sill and masses of powdery soil is
regularly appearing in the saucer coming out from the bottom of the pot.

We are assuming it's a worm? *Is it detrimental to the plant in any way and
should it be fished out? *One curious aspect is that its pushing out so many
of the little soil granules that the pot no longer even sits upright....
that's a lot of serious pushing out.

I would have thought if you just take it out of the pot without
disturbing the root ball you would find the culprit. Funny one though.
Old 31-12-2010, 08:21 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"harry" wrote ...

"john brook" wrote:
We have a hibiscus in a pot on the window sill and masses of powdery soil
is
regularly appearing in the saucer coming out from the bottom of the pot.

We are assuming it's a worm? Is it detrimental to the plant in any way
and
should it be fished out? One curious aspect is that its pushing out so
many
of the little soil granules that the pot no longer even sits upright....
that's a lot of serious pushing out.

I would have thought if you just take it out of the pot without
disturbing the root ball you would find the culprit. Funny one though.

I agree, you need to take it out of it's pot and see what is causing the
problem. Be careful though, do it in a bucket, I heard of a case of
something nasty lurking in a pot.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 08-03-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered User

Hi There
I am new to worm farming and i didnt know where to start but just wanted to give it a go. So thought i would have a search around the internet to see what info was available and couldnt really find much! However i did find a really great book to download which was incredibly informative and really easy to read. Now I am so excited as i have a better understanding as a complete novice and i highly recommend it to anyone starting out.
I found it under this website: Beginners Guide to Starting a Worm Farm

would appreciate any further advice from anyone.

Allotment Lady

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden[_3_] View Post
"harry" wrote ...