Old 13-01-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Suttons Seeds

I was given a Suttons Seeds Fundraiser Catalogue (20% goes to the "good
cause"). Browsing through it's very limited selection I was horrified at
the prices. Wondered if they had marked up the seeds to help pay the
20%, so looked on their web site but prices are the same.

Examples of prices for identical items in the Suttons and Dobies
catalogues:

Suttons Dobies
Broad Beans Aquadulce Claudia 45 for £2.55 60 for £1.45
Borlotti Firetongue 110 for £2.55 100 for £1.80
Carrot F1 Maestro Seeds 660 for £3.25 660 for £2.05
Rudbeckia Cherokee Sunset 45 for £2.29 45 for £1.60
Sweet Pea Bounce Mix 25 for £1.89 25 for £1.95!

Yes the last one is dearer at Dobies, this does not claim to be an
exhustive list, just a few items as I browsed through.

Easiplants and Garden Ready plants seem to be similar in price, with
Suttons again more expensive, but not always so excessively.

How do Suttons justify their prices? Perhaps it is because they are
packeted in gloosy printed packets with pictures, where as Dobies seeds
come in plain paper packets with just the basic information!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 13-01-2011, 02:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 13 Jan 2011 14:22:49 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

[...]

Daft, isn't it. Dobies and Suttons are the same company or, to be more
precise, are both divisions of Suttons Consumer Products!

Have you had a look at Jersey Plants Direct for plug/garden ready
plants? If you've got a Nectar card, get at them thru Nectar e-stores
to collect points on your purchase.

Suttons F1 Sungold Judith in England United Kingdom 6 10-04-2016 04:08 PM
Suttons seeds K United Kingdom 1 30-05-2009 10:57 PM
Should I Order From Suttons ? Martin United Kingdom 0 30-10-2007 09:01 PM
Suttons seeds Sacha United Kingdom 79 30-10-2007 02:09 PM
Lavatera from Suttons Stewart Robert Hinsley United Kingdom 0 06-03-2004 09:46 PM