Old 17-01-2011, 06:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Bulbs late, woody plants early?

Is it my imagination, or are the plants you would expect to be well up
(and maybe flowering now) such as daffodils and snowdrops several weeks
late, while deciduous shrubs, etc such as Hydrangea, Magnolia, Acer,
Clematis are many weeks early?

Not only deciduous shrubs, come to think of it. Daphne odora
aureomarginata has flower buds about to break, and I don't remember it
flowering until March previously.

--

Jeff
Old 18-01-2011, 09:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Is it my imagination, or are the plants you would expect to be well up
(and maybe flowering now) such as daffodils and snowdrops several weeks
late, while deciduous shrubs, etc such as Hydrangea, Magnolia, Acer,
Clematis are many weeks early?

Not only deciduous shrubs, come to think of it. Daphne odora
aureomarginata has flower buds about to break, and I don't remember it
flowering until March previously.

--

Jeff

Some daffodils I planted on our golf course last November are now starting
to show their green tips.

Bill

Old 18-01-2011, 12:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-18 09:09:25 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

"Jeff Layman" wrote in message
Is it my imagination, or are the plants you would expect to be well up
(and maybe flowering now) such as daffodils and snowdrops several weeks
late, while deciduous shrubs, etc such as Hydrangea, Magnolia, Acer,
Clematis are many weeks early?

Not only deciduous shrubs, come to think of it. Daphne odora
aureomarginata has flower buds about to break, and I don't remember it
flowering until March previously.

--

Jeff

Some daffodils I planted on our golf course last November are now
starting
to show their green tips.

Bill

Yes, some of ours are just poking through. I noticed them on the drive as
I went out this morning - very cheering!
--
Sacha

As I explained in a posting yesterday, after I had cleared some leaves off
the lawn, I saw the bulbs poking through :-))

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 18-01-2011, 03:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Our snowdrops have been in flower for a week.

Blimey, I hadnt' thought to look for snowdrops yet!

Slightly worryingly, my day lily appears to be popping up already!
(The irises have been going for it since November, but they always do -
every time I start thinking of digging them up to move them, they suddenly
appear as if by magic!)
Old 18-01-2011, 04:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Layman[_2_] View Post
Is it my imagination, or are the plants you would expect to be well up
(and maybe flowering now) such as daffodils and snowdrops several weeks
late, while deciduous shrubs, etc such as Hydrangea, Magnolia, Acer,
Clematis are many weeks early?
I'd agree with bulbs being late - I haven't any sign of daffodils, crocuses or snowdrops. Not sure that other stuff is early, though. Hamamelis have burst into flower in the last few days, apart from that I have winter flowering honeysuckle and viburnum, and a few primroses. But the winter flowering cherries are not yet flowering.
__________________

Old 18-01-2011, 05:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-01-18 09:09:25 +0000, "Bill Grey" said:

[...]

My snowdrops are pretty well on time. they are showing colour in the stems
and a few are up, turning to the sky. One is bent over and will probably
flower tomorrow.
I keep meaning to have a diary about the first snowdrops flowering but I
didn't.
Last year they flowered in the 3rd & 4th week of January in my garden

Tina

Old 18-01-2011, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Did you go to the Boat Show?

No, but Nick took Benjamin to it. I had a nice* day at home with Daniel -
he came to my ballet class, then we went for pizza, then went to
Wild'n'Wacky (weird kids' play area thing, which gave me enough time to do
most of the Saturday Independent super sudoku!)
We were a bit tired when we got home, having walked nearly 5 miles in total!

ducks and runs

Quack.
Old 19-01-2011, 10:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 18 Jan 2011 23:21:36 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:

[...]

ducks and runs

Quack.

In my bitter experience, ducks with the runs are evil almost beyond
compare.

--
Mike.