Old 26-01-2011, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Lidl's hellebores

Picked up a leaflet in Lidl last week but seem to have put it out with
the recycling. I wanted to save it.
One item was hellebore plants, with an illustration.
You could see the pot and the base of the plant with leaves coming
from it, but more stems and leaves had been added above, with pretty
pink flowers dotted about among the leaves!
Artist's licence or a new variety?

Pam in Bristol
Old 26-01-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 26 Jan 2011 17:00:11 +0000, Pam Moore
wrote:

Picked up a leaflet in Lidl last week but seem to have put it out with
the recycling. I wanted to save it.
One item was hellebore plants, with an illustration.
You could see the pot and the base of the plant with leaves coming
from it, but more stems and leaves had been added above, with pretty
pink flowers dotted about among the leaves!
Artist's licence or a new variety?

Pam in Bristol

I noticed hellebores for sale in my local Lidl (Bridgend) last
Thursday but the quality wasn't enought to tempt me to buy. Very few
had open flowers so it would be difficult to tell what colour you were
getting. I have a tray of small ones growing in the greenhouse (the
only plants to have survived the last cold snap) which will probably
be big enough to plant out later this year but until they flower I
don't know what I'll end up with. Their parents aren't named
varieties, just a tray-full I bought to fill some space.

Jake
Old 26-01-2011, 11:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

[...]

Jake, with any luck they will all be slightly different, but you'll be
lucky to have anything excitingly unusual. I have a lot in my garden
and on the allotment and let them seed around.

To all who grow them, now's about the time, if you haven't done so
already, to cut off the old leaves if they are looking the slightest
bit black.

Pam in Bristol
Old 27-01-2011, 09:25 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:

[...]

Pam in Bristol- Hide quoted text -

The Illustration was fantastic with flowers all the way up the stem,
but the plants were not quite so tall, though the ones in flower,
white and tinted white shades, but they did have several flowers to
each stem, going to around 9 inches,
Good strong plants, but at £8.99 each.
I'll have a look this week or next to see if they are reduced.