Old 29-01-2011, 02:01 PM
Registered User

Question red face

could any one tell me why my greenhouse tomatoes always see to have a tough skin
Old 29-01-2011, 04:01 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default tomatoes

On Sat, 29 Jan 2011 13:24:54 +0000, Billit
wrote:

could any one tell me why my greenhouse tomatoes always seem to have a
tough skin

Too hot and/or too little water.

Steve

--
EasyNN-plus. Neural Networks plus. www.easynn.com
SwingNN. Forecast with Neural Networks. www.swingnn.com
Old 29-01-2011, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Billit wrote:
could any one tell me why my greenhouse tomatoes always seem to have a
tough skin

Too cold? My experience has always been outdoor ones have tougher skins (to
keep them warmer!). What variety do you grow?

Old 30-01-2011, 01:47 PM
Registered User

Wink

Thank you very much on your advice regarding the tough skins on my tomatoes It did not cross my mind that they were too cold but I will rectify that this year and also make sure that they are kept damp enough the variety that I groe are Shirley. Thanks again Billit

Old 30-01-2011, 07:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default red face

Billit wrote:

Thank you very much on your advice regarding the tough skins on my
tomatoes It did not cross my mind that they were too cold but I will
rectify that this year and also make sure that they are kept damp enough
the variety that I groe are Shirley. Thanks again

Good variety IMO, but the kins can be a bit - er - Ailsa Craig-ish...

--
Rusty
Old 31-01-2011, 09:28 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jan 30, 7:40*pm, Rusty Hinge
wrote:
Billit wrote:
Thank you very much on your advice regarding the tough skins on my
tomatoes It did not cross my mind that they were too cold but I will
rectify that this year and also make sure that they are kept damp enough
the variety that I groe are Shirley. Thanks again

Good variety IMO, but the kins can be a bit - er - Ailsa Craig-ish...

--
Rusty

I wouldn't wory about the skins, it's the flavour that matters, I've
found over the years that the tomatoes with the best flavour often
have tough skins.