Old 02-02-2011, 02:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default The Birds - I was Wrong

In message , echinosum
writes

Jake;911616 Wrote:
You lucky person! I've travelled to and through mid Wales many times but
have never been lucky enough to see a red kite "in the flesh".

They have become a common sight along the M40 in the Chilterns,
especially around Stokenchurch. And out into the Oxfordshire plain too,
and I've seen them as far west as the Oxford/A40 exit. I can't remember
the last time I drove to Oxford in daylight without spotting one. I
think most people don't even realise what they are looking at. We see
them so often we recognise them immediately. I live out in the fields,
but you can see them even in the town centres. A friend in Amersham saw
8 at once out of her window the other day.

Inlaws live near High Wycombe in bucks. There are loads of them road
there as well. Pretty much anytime you look out the kitchen window you
can see a few cruising around
--
Chris French

Old 02-02-2011, 10:51 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jan 31, 6:58*pm, Mike Lyle wrote:
On Sun, 30 Jan 2011 22:40:23 -0000, Roger Tonkin

wrote:
In article ,
says...
You lucky person! I've travelled to and through mid Wales many times
but have never been lucky enough to see a red kite "in the flesh".

If you are ever in the Rhayder area around 2.00pm (3.00pm in summer) you
can hardly fail to mis them. There is a feeding station on the A470,
just south of the town, and they get around 100 there each day.

Another interesting place to see them is in Oxforshire, around Didcot.
Son-in-law counted 13 a little while back, just circling over the houses
to the west of the town.

I suppose they are a branch of the older-established population always
to be seen as the M40 goes through the Chilterns?

--
Mike.

I've seen them north of Woodstock, so I think they must be spreading.

Jonathan
Old 02-02-2011, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 2 Feb 2011 12:26:25 -0000, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...] But I have seen non-reintro'd red
kite in mid-Wales a few times. I suppose being a cyclist/hill-walker
helps for that kind of thing - puts you out there for extended periods.

How does one tell the difference?

The native ones speak Welsh, and the reintoduced ones speak Sweedish (or
where ever they were from)!

Silly boy!

vbg

Actually, I read somewhere a while back that birds do have regional
"accents" in their song. As the author of the article probably didn't
speak fluent bird at all, for all we know they may actually be singing
in different languages! So the possibility that Welsh kites speak a
different language to Swedish ones isn't as daft as it sounds!

Iechyd da.
Old 02-02-2011, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...] But I have seen non-reintro'd red
kite in mid-Wales a few times. I suppose being a cyclist/hill-walker
helps for that kind of thing - puts you out there for extended periods.

How does one tell the difference?

The native ones speak Welsh, and the reintoduced ones speak Sweedish (or
where ever they were from)!

Silly boy!

vbg

Actually, I read somewhere a while back that birds do have regional
"accents" in their song. As the author of the article probably didn't
speak fluent bird at all, for all we know they may actually be singing
in different languages! So the possibility that Welsh kites speak a
different language to Swedish ones isn't as daft as it sounds!

Iechyd da.- Hide quoted text -

Must be why we have Taffinches on our feeders

Old 02-02-2011, 06:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , chris French
writes
In message , echinosum
writes

Jake;911616 Wrote:
You lucky person! I've travelled to and through mid Wales many times but
have never been lucky enough to see a red kite "in the flesh".

They have become a common sight along the M40 in the Chilterns,
especially around Stokenchurch. And out into the Oxfordshire plain too,
and I've seen them as far west as the Oxford/A40 exit. I can't remember
the last time I drove to Oxford in daylight without spotting one. I
think most people don't even realise what they are looking at. We see
them so often we recognise them immediately. I live out in the fields,
but you can see them even in the town centres. A friend in Amersham saw
8 at once out of her window the other day.

Inlaws live near High Wycombe in bucks. There are loads of them road
there as well. Pretty much anytime you look out the kitchen window you
can see a few cruising around

One of the first birds I saw after moving to Dorset in 2002 was a Red
Kite. I haven't seen one here since but the local birdwatching group has
had sightings reported regularly. Lovely birds ... almost as lovely as
the Marsh Harriers we see occasionally at RSPB Radipole/Lodmoor.
--
Gopher .... I know my place!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...] But I have seen non-reintro'd red
kite in mid-Wales a few times. I suppose being a cyclist/hill-walker
helps for that kind of thing - puts you out there for extended periods.

How does one tell the difference?

The native ones speak Welsh, and the reintoduced ones speak Sweedish (or
where ever they were from)!

Silly boy!

vbg

Actually, I read somewhere a while back that birds do have regional
"accents" in their song. As the author of the article probably didn't
speak fluent bird at all, for all we know they may actually be singing
in different languages! So the possibility that Welsh kites speak a
different language to Swedish ones isn't as daft as it sounds!

Iechyd da.- Hide quoted text -

Must be why we have Taffinches on our feeders

Now you mention it, around here the Labour and Libdem finches have
reduced in numbers of late whilst the Plaid ones have increased. Never
seen any Conservative finches here though.
Old 02-02-2011, 11:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

wrote:

In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...] But I have seen non-reintro'd red
kite in mid-Wales a few times. I suppose being a cyclist/hill-walker
helps for that kind of thing - puts you out there for extended periods.

How does one tell the difference?

The native ones speak Welsh, and the reintoduced ones speak Sweedish (or
where ever they were from)!

Silly boy!

vbg

Actually, I read somewhere a while back that birds do have regional
"accents" in their song. As the author of the article probably didn't
speak fluent bird at all, for all we know they may actually be singing
in different languages! So the possibility that Welsh kites speak a
different language to Swedish ones isn't as daft as it sounds!

Iechyd da.

Songbirds do have regional accents, though I'm not sure about raptors.
I have two of those delightful soft-toy birds you squeeze to provoke a
song: the blackbird's label says it was recorded in France (I don't
know why), and the song /is/ different from the British ones.

--
Mike.
Old 03-02-2011, 03:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , chris French
writes
A friend in Amersham saw
8 at once out of her window the other day.

Inlaws live near High Wycombe in bucks. There are loads of them road
there as well. Pretty much anytime you look out the kitchen window you
can see a few cruising around
--
Chris French

Yes we have loads around here in Amersham. When i walk around the
Chilterns at the weekend there's always a few to spot. Sometimes they
are ina big group like Chris says and sometimes one or two wheeling
round. In fact at the moment there's two or even three in the sky above
the garden

Janet

--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 03-02-2011, 03:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
chris French wrote:

Inlaws live near High Wycombe in bucks. There are loads of them road
there as well. Pretty much anytime you look out the kitchen window you
can see a few cruising around

Er, WHAT sort of family did you marry into? Have you read the
stories of Ray Bradbury, by any chance?

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.

Old 07-02-2011, 10:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...]

They're called "Blue" tits :-)

Bill

Old 07-02-2011, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
ks says...

wrote:
In article ,
says...

On Mon, 31 Jan 2011 14:41:26 +0000, echinosum
wrote:
[...]

[...]

I've seen some bluetits

Janet