Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How slowly should I take seedlings out of a propagator?

I have germinated alder seeds in a Stewart thermostatted propagator,
on dishcloth soaked in water and baby bio. The seedling are now about
1.5" high and they have put their roots down through the weave of the
dishcloth. The ventilation slots were half open and the inside of the
plastic cover covered with droplets. Now I have opened the slots, the
inside has dried out. I now want to plant them out onto compost under
lighting grow them on. How slowly should I harden them to this new
dryer environment?

Michael Bell

Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Michael Bell wrote in
. uk:

I have germinated alder seeds in a Stewart thermostatted propagator,
on dishcloth soaked in water and baby bio. The seedling are now about
1.5" high and they have put their roots down through the weave of the
dishcloth. The ventilation slots were half open and the inside of the
plastic cover covered with droplets. Now I have opened the slots, the
inside has dried out. I now want to plant them out onto compost under
lighting grow them on. How slowly should I harden them to this new
dryer environment?

Michael Bell

Would a birch family seedling need to be hardened off?
Are they birch?

I am unsure, but if they are a native species throw them into their growing
space, lob a bit of soil on top and wait until spring. Honest, if as I
think they are native, don't worry.
Obviously if you want to spur them on a bit in growth, treat them to a bag
of compost. Sit back and watch them grow!

Baz
Old 03-02-2011, 09:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message
Baz wrote:

Michael Bell wrote in
. uk:

[...]

The Birches are closely related to the Alders - both Betulacae. It is
a native species, Alnus glutinosa. My need is to get them up to 3 mm
diameter stem size by the end of May, that's what I need the light
for, and therefore the drying out risk.

Michael Bell

Old 04-02-2011, 02:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Michael Bell wrote in
. uk:

Baz

The Birches are closely related to the Alders - both Betulacae. It is
a native species, Alnus glutinosa. My need is to get them up to 3 mm
diameter stem size by the end of May, that's what I need the light
for, and therefore the drying out risk.

Michael Bell

Michael,
If you need to you can have a "feel" to decide if they have enough water
and act accordingly. All native UK plants need water. I have a gut feeling
that I have not understood you properly, and am still unsure why you need
to have them out by the end of may, and be hardened off! They grow
naturally in extreme conditions in the UK. No extra lighting is required by
them.

Baz

Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Thu, 03 Feb 2011 21:02:20 GMT, Michael Bell
wrote:

In message
Baz wrote:

Michael Bell wrote in
. uk:

[...]

I really wouldn't put them out now: they're accustomed to warmth and
light, and a sudden change would be bad. I'm NOT an expert, but I
think you've done very well: tree seeds can take ages. They'll need to
go into John Innes Seed grade right now -- follow the usual gardening
book rules about handling -- and I don't think they'll need hardening
off as you're keeping them indoors, as long as the temperature is
reduced only gradually and they're free of draughts. I suggest the
first watering in their compost should contain a fungicide to protect
against damping-off. I'd say keep the compost moist but not wet.

But I want to emphasise that I'm only giving advice to the best of my
ability, from first principles: if you want /expert/ advice, I'm not
the man.

--
Mike.