Old 05-02-2011, 05:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default New web site Chiltern seeds

www.chilternseeds.co.uk

Looks a lot easier to find things than the old site!

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
Old 05-02-2011, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
www.chilternseeds.co.uk
Looks a lot easier to find things than the old site!

Depends what your searching for.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 06-02-2011, 04:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article
,
Dave Hill writes
They do have Wild Flowers of the British Isles to encourage bees,
butterflies and other wildlife to your garden.
This does help a bit in finding what you want.

Yes but i don't want wild flowers! i just want to grow shrubs/perennials
that smell nice and/or are good for bees and insects
--
Janet Tweedy
Amersham Gardening Association
Old 07-02-2011, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 02/05/2011 06:52 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
www.chilternseeds.co.uk
Looks a lot easier to find things than the old site!

I took a look through the maple seeds, there are some errors, and saying
you can grow A. palmatum 'Osakazuki' from seed is either ignorant or
disingenuous.

A couple of other packets that looked interesting, above all A. pictum
although it is mislabled A. mono against current taxonomy. (Pictum is
listed as a syn. I prefer mono too, but judgment has been rendered...)
No provenance or variety given, mind, so the seeds might look like
almost anything.

-E
Old 07-02-2011, 09:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Mon, 07 Feb 2011 17:52:57 +0100, Emery Davis
wrote:

On 02/05/2011 06:52 PM, Bob Hobden wrote:
www.chilternseeds.co.uk
Looks a lot easier to find things than the old site!

I took a look through the maple seeds, there are some errors, and saying
you can grow A. palmatum 'Osakazuki' from seed is either ignorant or
disingenuous.

A couple of other packets that looked interesting, above all A. pictum
although it is mislabled A. mono against current taxonomy. (Pictum is
listed as a syn. I prefer mono too, but judgment has been rendered...)
No provenance or variety given, mind, so the seeds might look like
almost anything.

I've only had a very few things from them, and on that small sample,
they're prone to errors. I do get all GOM about chatty catalogues, and
am inclined to distrust them; but I know plenty of people like that
approach. Chiltern do have an extremely impressive range, though.

--
Mike.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
I've only had a very few things from them, and on that small sample,
they're prone to errors.

Sending the wrong seeds from those ordered or actually selling the wrong
seeds in a packet?

Janet
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 08-02-2011, 10:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Tue, 8 Feb 2011 21:03:18 +0000, Janet Tweedy
wrote:

In article , Mike Lyle
writes
I've only had a very few things from them, and on that small sample,
they're prone to errors.

Sending the wrong seeds from those ordered or actually selling the wrong
seeds in a packet?

Wrong seeds in the packet, two out of (I think) three. In one case it
was only one wrong seed, and I quite liked the result (an everlasting
pea of some kind among some sweet peas), so I didn't mind; but in the
other, it was one correct variety out of fifteen seeds, and by the
time they flowered I didn't really feel like following up. The
disappointing packet was labelled Geranium sanguineum "Lancastrense":
all but one came out as ordinary magenta flowers.

But let me repeat that this was a very small sample.

--
Mike.

Best site for freelancer work (PHP, Web site, java, oracle sql, php,data entry) arti United Kingdom 0 04-07-2009 03:53 PM
[IBC] chiltern seeds kevin bailey Bonsai 1 31-10-2003 03:22 PM
chiltern seeds denebet Bonsai 0 14-10-2003 08:45 PM
[IBC] Vendor links by state on NBF site [Was: [IBC] Web Site Changes] Chris Cochrane Bonsai 0 04-08-2003 03:22 PM
Web hosting for your gardening web site. $1.95 per month Hostronica Web Hosting Gardening 0 01-05-2003 06:56 AM