Old 18-02-2011, 06:53 PM
Registered User

Default what is it?

can anyone tell me what this plant is called. its in flower now, a shrub/small tree? clusters of pink and white small bell like flowers which hang down a bit from opening ball clusters. these are on leafless upright branches. it looks a bit like a japanese cherry.
i live in surrey uk
Old 18-02-2011, 07:10 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamaid View Post
can anyone tell me what this plant is called. its in flower now, a shrub/small tree? clusters of pink and white small bell like flowers which hang down a bit from opening ball clusters. these are on leafless upright branches. it looks a bit like a japanese cherry.
i live in surrey uk
Are they scented? Viburnum bodnantense is very much in evidence at the moment.

Otoh, if it looks really cherry like, it could be a winter flowering cherry, Prunus subhirtella autumnalis. But that doesn't have the upright growth of the Viburnum, it's very much a small tree rather than a shrub.
__________________
Old 18-02-2011, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , miriamaid
writes

can anyone tell me what this plant is called. its in flower now, a
shrub/small tree? clusters of pink and white small bell like flowers
which hang down a bit from opening ball clusters. these are on leafless
upright branches. it looks a bit like a japanese cherry.
i live in surrey uk

I've noticed some Viburnum x bodnantense in flower at the moment.

--
miriamaid

--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 19-02-2011, 01:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/02/2011 18:53, miriamaid wrote:
can anyone tell me what this plant is called. its in flower now, a
shrub/small tree? clusters of pink and white small bell like flowers
which hang down a bit from opening ball clusters. these are on leafless
upright branches. it looks a bit like a japanese cherry.
i live in surrey uk

Could it be Prunus x subhirtella autumnalis Rosea? It's usually a
medium-sized tree, but you might have a young plant or, perhaps, seedling.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 19-02-2011, 07:06 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by miriamaid View Post
can anyone tell me what this plant is called. its in flower now, a shrub/small tree? clusters of pink and white small bell like flowers which hang down a bit from opening ball clusters. these are on leafless upright branches. it looks a bit like a japanese cherry.
i live in surrey uk
Sounds like my Prunus mume 'beni shidori' (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gardening...the-spot.html). Is it scented at all? Doesn't really matter what it's called - anything that flowers at this time of year gets my vote!
Nick

http://otherfellow.co.uk

"Always do your best. What you plant now, you will harvest later"
Og Mandino