Old 20-02-2011, 04:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.gardening

Default Extension cable loosing flexibility

In article , bluestar0955
@mail.invalid says...
I've tried that trick sailors use in giving it a small twist every time you
reel it around your arm, but its just a bit too stiff to do that
successfully.

Just explain to the wife that it's only practical to use them on really
hot days.

Seriously, it's the cold that does it. You can get "arctic" grade cable,
which has a softer PVC jacket, but it's less resistant to damage etc.

Old 20-02-2011, 05:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.gardening

On 20/02/2011 16:02, Skipweasel wrote:
In , bluestar0955
@mail.invalid says...
I've tried that trick sailors use in giving it a small twist every time you
reel it around your arm, but its just a bit too stiff to do that
successfully.

Just explain to the wife that it's only practical to use them on really
hot days.

Seriously, it's the cold that does it. You can get "arctic" grade cable,
which has a softer PVC jacket, but it's less resistant to damage etc.

Is that the blue stuff? I've got a couple of leads fitted with blue
cable & it does seem more flexible.

Old 20-02-2011, 10:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 17:10:19 +0000, The Medway Handyman wrote:

Is that the blue stuff? I've got a couple of leads fitted with blue
cable & it does seem more flexible.

Just bought a Masterplug "heavy duty" 10m single socket extension
from B&Q. It is a nice soft flexable cable, though I haven't left it
outside yet. Hum, it's just on freezing I'll leave it in one of the
proches tonight...

I don't think it is "arctic" cable all it has stamped on it is:

"3C1.25mm^2 BS6500 MASTERPLUG"

What does that BS number mean?

--
Cheers
Dave.

Old 20-02-2011, 11:01 PM posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.gardening

In article o.uk,
says...
What does that BS number mean?

http://www.bs6500.co.uk/

Old 21-02-2011, 12:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair,free.uk.diy.home,uk.d-i-y,uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 20 Feb 2011 23:01:45 -0000, Skipweasel wrote:

What does that BS number mean?

http://www.bs6500.co.uk/

No involved with Eland cables are we? B-)

Doesn't say a lot in terms that can be reall pinned down.

Anyway my B&Q "Masterplug" extension cable, after being out in the
porch over night at 0C, is stiff but still coilable without it
fighting back a great deal.

--
Cheers
Dave.