Old 27-02-2011, 08:00 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Fencing or something.

This is nothing to do with my frog question. I have a hedge on the north
side of my garden ( large garden but this bit of hedge is just by where I
meet with my only neighbor). This hedge is more of a high bank and seems to
be made up of soil with some stones in it ( a Cornish hedge of the old type
and no Cornish dry walling. Its not wide and I am not sure how stable it
is. There have been falls there before. I usually try to hold them back
with dry stone walling but that doesn't always work.

The thing that holds all up is the hedge which is mainly hazel.

However, one of the trees has rotted out and it came down in January. I
have pulled it out from necessity ( would hit the house otherwise. Now I
have a large gap there, little ground to do anything with and I ideally need
to do something to cover it over from my privacy and my neighbors.

It wont take posts for a fence ( not stable enough). I doubt I can get
another tree in there because its only about six inches wide at this point
and a sheer drop my side ( Its my bank by the way. I hold up my neighbours
land). Any suggestions as to how to cover it? Gap is about 10 ft wide.
Old mixed hedging either side of it. Mostly ivy and hazel but some
blackthorn in there.

Any advice appreciated.

Old 27-02-2011, 03:43 PM
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetheart View Post
[...]

hi again,, i would put a rhody or or two in the gap, also to help with the land slide on the bank , i would peg a wire net over the loose stuff, put a thin layer of topsoil to cover the wre net, and grass seed it.if you wanted to do it on the cheap, i would use tent pegs and chicken wire,, hope this helps.. spinky
Old 27-02-2011, 05:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote in message
[...]

I'd like to say I had a good idea about this, but if the bank is too
unstable to take a fence and not enough room for another tree, I haven't a
clue how to fill in the gap.
Which is not useful, I know, but I hate a post to go unreplied even if
no-one knows.
Tina

Old 27-02-2011, 05:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Sun, 27 Feb 2011 08:00:29 -0000, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:

[...]

I must admit that I'm finding it very difficult to envisage the
situation from your description. You can't post pics to the newsgroup
but I wonder is there a chance that you could upload some to one of
those photo hosting sites on the web and then post a link (or links)
here? If people can get a look at the problem they may be able to come
up with some suggestions.
Old 27-02-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Feb 27, 8:00*am, "sweetheart" hotmail.com wrote:
[...]

Cut off hazel "wands", make holes as deep as you can with a bar and
plant them. Fill the holes with soil/tramp well down. Hazel roots very
easily. Plant immediately, don't let them dry out. Or willow if you
have any. If the weather gets dry, water.
The stone probably arises from people chucking stones in there from
the garden whilst digging.

electric fencing for ponds Andrew Burgess Ponds 3 27-02-2003 03:53 AM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 3 24-02-2003 11:10 PM
new product(?)electric fencing for raccoon woes K30a Ponds 2 24-02-2003 10:29 PM
fencing Paint Howie United Kingdom 2 10-02-2003 09:16 AM
AD: Handy fencing tool for tightening/ maintaining wire fences, trellis wires, deer stand wires, et C&C Fencing Supply sci.agriculture 0 06-02-2003 01:45 AM