Old 01-03-2011, 10:08 AM
Registered User

Default Gardening tools: Please help me :)

Hi, My mum need some new gardening tools and I have found a Fiskars Garden Tools set for £26.00 on hereforaday.com - One Amazing Deal Everyday does anyone know if this is a good make? It's just she spends A LOT of time gardening so I want to make sure it will last. Help
Kirsten
Old 01-03-2011, 04:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Everyday' (http://www.hereforaday.com) does anyone know if this is a
good make? It's just she spends A LOT of time gardening so I want to
make sure it will last. Help
Kirsten

I have bought good tools from Fiskars in the past but, if the image that
link brings up is what you propose buying,then, sorry, I wouldn't
bother. Not for a really keen gardener. Personally, I think tools
should be hand-picked by the user. Could you take your mum out for a
day to a good garden centre and let her choose ... or would that become
too expensive? ;~)

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 02-03-2011, 03:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Tue, 1 Mar 2011 22:56:27 -0000, "Bob Hobden"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote ...

[...] (But I added a couple of )

If she doesn't mind second-hand -- which is sometimes nicer as well as
cheaper -- car boot sales are worth checking.

Depends which allotment shed they were nicked from.

Oh, dear! I really am an innocent little thing: I hadn't thought of
that.

--
Mike.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote ...

[...] (But I added a couple of )

If she doesn't mind second-hand -- which is sometimes nicer as well as
cheaper -- car boot sales are worth checking.

Depends which allotment shed they were nicked from.

Oh, dear! I really am an innocent little thing: I hadn't thought of
that.

I'm afraid it's the first thing that went through my mind and we have
neither an allotment nor experience of car boot sales. We do have
experience of the sneaky lowlife who stole a hedgecutter from us a few
years ago, however.
--
Sacha
South Devon

and if anyone wants more proof of the low down life who will pinch things
from an open shed or garage, I had a projector I use for talks pinched. I
had to buy a new one for a talk I gave to a WI a couple of weeks ago. A
Sander, a new Jigsaw in a case and a couple of Black and Decker Drills in a
superb carrying case. Back gate unlocked, Garage unlocked ""We never have
trouble here"" until now. The trouble is that my gardens go through to the
road behind and that is where my garage is :-((

If it can happen here on the Isle of Wight, it can happen to YOU ..........
THERE.

LOCK YOUR SHED AND GARAGE.

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 05-03-2011, 12:41 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Mike Lyle wrote in
:

If she doesn't mind second-hand -- which is sometimes nicer as well as
cheaper -- car boot sales are worth checking.

How true.
Second hand or 'used' good quality tools pre 1970 will always outlast even
mid-ranged to top end tools manufactured today. In fact even the top of the
range tools today are imo inferior to their 1950/60/70 products. The
materials of tools, although high quality by todays standards are not a
match for the older ones. IMO.

If a tool has a mechanism it should have readily available spare parts, if
it hasn't don't touch it.

Buy cheap buy twice (or more times) and in the end you will have paid the
price of a professional tool and still have a duff, broken thingy after all
the outlay. Again IMO.

Baz

Old 05-03-2011, 06:36 PM
Registered User

Location: UK Midlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike
LOCK YOUR SHED AND GARAGE.
Lock all your garden gates as well. Lock your back door (of course) and hide the keys in a place the low life won't find too easily.

I have learnt this from bitter experience - if you make the escape routes hard you are less at risk and less will be stolen if they do break in.

Re tools - I always buy cheapish, because I'm always thinking i'll mislay them and leave them out in the rain for months. Even some fairly cheap ones have lasted me a decent length of time, though. The very cheapest usually disintegrate after a few weeks.

I agree with the comments on the better quality of vintage tools - same with clothes, furniture etc. The old ones are the best, innit.