Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-03-2011, 02:00 PM
Registered User

Default Drastic prune of spotted laurel: Should I?

I was thinking about digging out a spotted laurel bush altogether. It's 5 foot or so high, maybe 4 across. However, I am wondering whether I can incorporate it into a new planting scheme BUT much smaller, say a 2 foot ball. If I were to cut it back in one go to 2', would death be inevitable?! Or would new shoots sprout from the trunks?

Can I do it now (mid March)? Bear in mind it won't be a catastrophe if I fail, except it would be good to know now, if the plan is doomed, so I can dig it out and plant something else!

I am in Southern Hampshire on clay soil.

Thanks

Aucuba Japonica(Spotted Laurel) Dead Plants Terry Deans Gardening 5 21-02-2012 07:35 PM
Old apple tree drastic pruning advice Mook United Kingdom 8 06-08-2006 10:06 PM
Any ideas of a UK supplier of spotted laurel at 1m tall potted the carpet man United Kingdom 7 09-04-2006 06:29 PM
Drastic PH Drop after adding Dritftwood Squid Freshwater Aquaria Plants 5 26-04-2004 11:10 PM
[IBC] Crasulla - Jade - To root prune or not to root prune Corcoran. Bil Bonsai 0 29-04-2003 01:32 AM