Old 23-03-2011, 01:15 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Rose trauma

Whilst I was off sailing last week and weekend, apparently our neighbour has
decided to 'straighten off his fence', which means taking his fence down,
cutting out 6" of our garden and replanting his fence, with a stake right in
the middle of my favourite rose!

Apparently my next door neighbour on the other side rescued the rose before
he masacred it, and I haven't had a chance to thank her and see how it is
yet. But given the time of year and the fact that it was well out of
dormancy (and hadn't had a hugely harsh pruning this year), what's the
chance of it surviving?

(neighbour who rescued it does know what she's doing, but roses aren't her
speciality)

Old 23-03-2011, 07:38 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

It'll probably be OK if it's not a huge one. Transplanting old roses
is not worth it.
Old 23-03-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Name View Post
Apparently my next door neighbour on the other side rescued the rose before
he masacred it, and I haven't had a chance to thank her and see how it is
yet. But given the time of year and the fact that it was well out of
dormancy (and hadn't had a hugely harsh pruning this year), what's the
chance of it surviving?
Roses can have deep roots, whcih you have to cut off when you dig them up. My experience of trying to transplant some roses I'd planted only a few years previously, trying to rescue them from the drive contractor, was that I lost half of them.
Old 23-03-2011, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Vicky wrote ...

Whilst I was off sailing last week and weekend, apparently our neighbour has
decided to 'straighten off his fence', which means taking his fence down,
cutting out 6" of our garden and replanting his fence, with a stake right in
the middle of my favourite rose!

Apparently my next door neighbour on the other side rescued the rose before
he masacred it, and I haven't had a chance to thank her and see how it is
yet. But given the time of year and the fact that it was well out of
dormancy (and hadn't had a hugely harsh pruning this year), what's the
chance of it surviving?

(neighbour who rescued it does know what she's doing, but roses aren't her
speciality)

Probably can save it but it may be more worthwhile to buy a new one,
transplanting old roses is not recommended.

Are you saying that your neighbour, without prior warning, has stolen 6
inches along the length of you garden whilst you were away? Sounds like a
nice type, not.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-03-2011, 11:30 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Probably can save it but it may be more worthwhile to buy a new one,
transplanting old roses is not recommended.

The rose has been there for les than 10 years, but it was very healthy and
grew huge each year.

Fortunately my neighbour knows a lot of very good gardening people (she is
president of the local gardening club), and it looks like it has been
rescued in such a way that it's going to survive. I didn't have time to do
anything with it at the time so she has pot it into a big pot for me and
I'll try and plop it back in somewhere next month.

Not worth buying a new one - the space isn't there any more! :-}
No idea what variety it was, it was just a big white floribunda that did
/really/ well each year and flowered for a long long time.

Are you saying that your neighbour, without prior warning, has stolen 6
inches along the length of you garden whilst you were away? Sounds like a
nice type, not.

He's a charmer. But no, not entirely without prior warning. It's a long
running thing following on from him replacing the existing tatty fence many
years ago with a tall wooden fence and not managing to take the concrete
posts out, so the fence had a big kink in it. Now he has 'straightened it
up' to where it used to be, allegedly. Which appears to involve him putting
a concrete post right through where my rose was, and digging out a huge
chunk of land. Ho hum.

The absolute worst pain in the arse it of it is that there is a huge section
out of the fence missing, which means we can't let the chickens out, cos
they will be straight into their garden. And frankly, I'm very surprised
not to have had their labradors in our garden.

GF Trauma Ken Russell Ponds 12 06-02-2004 07:21 AM
GF Trauma Ken Russell Ponds 0 02-02-2004 09:28 PM
GF Trauma Ken Russell Ponds 0 02-02-2004 09:26 PM
Rose Celebrations and meeting with the Rose-Obsessed USDA map Radika Kesavan Roses 1 30-01-2003 11:36 PM
Ventura County Rose Society Rose Auction James Delahanty Roses 1 25-01-2003 04:37 AM