Old 24-03-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Parsnips(in bog rolls)

There was a discussion earlier this month on the subject, and I had a head
start because I had already done mine.
Some of mine are already showing after a very short time on the window cill
and as have the carrots which I sowed shortly after.
I just need to follow on and keep sowing until I have enough.
The whole seedling and bog roll can be planted using a bulb planter to the
depth of the bog roll. How much easier can this be? No thinning!
I did it last year with parsnips and carrot, and this year going to do
swede(obviously in the brassiccas bed).
If you are sceptical, sow in the usual/traditional way and wait 'till the
weeds take over but do a few in the way described and see for yourself.

I am trying to help, and this is MY TOP TIP by far because I know it works
and although it sounds faffy, its not, in the long run its far, far easier
than traditional methods.

Baz
Old 24-03-2011, 10:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

[...]

I agree this is dead easy, no thinning after the initial germination.
Much better roots cos there aint no stones!

Warning, make sure you plant the roll deep enough, they seem to rise up
a bit, then the roll and soil can dry out. Planted my parsnips out this
week, despite the frosts, as we are away all April. Carrots are just
planted, they'll have to wait til we get back to be planted out.

Not tried it with swedes, I expect they would swell and burst out of the
roll quite quickly. Might give some a try if got enough rolls!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 25-03-2011, 10:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Roger Tonkin wrote in
:

Warning, make sure you plant the roll deep enough, they seem to rise
up a bit, then the roll and soil can dry out.

Yes, and earthing up too helps.

Baz
Old 25-03-2011, 05:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

In article ,

says...

[...]

Forgot to add that I've transplanted the leeks into them as well this
year.

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales