Old 27-03-2011, 03:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default What should I pay (nephew) per metre of wall?

On 25/03/2011 18:03, harry wrote:
On Mar 25, 11:04 am, wrote:

My nephew is skilled (I think he is, he once had a business doing
landscaping) to build a 1.2m high by 7.5m long retaining wall. The wall
will probably be made of one two walls - a facing wall and a wall set
back, immediately adjacent to the soil. I'd say it needs to be about
30mm from front to back.

Lets say my nephew gets the materials at trade price, and I pay that
price for the materials. Of course, I'd want to pay my nephew a
reasonable and decent price for building the wall.

QUESTIONS: How much do you think I should pay my nephew per metre of
wall that represents a fair price, assuming he is not acting as a
business? What would be a fair price if my nephew were to say he would
do it acting as a business?

Thanks.

As a rule of thumb a gravity retaining wall needs to be of thickness,
25% of it's ground level difference.

I think what Harry is saying is that a 4ft high retaining wall should be
1 ft thick, i.e. 25% of the height, and with good drainage at the back
of it.
Don
Old 29-03-2011, 09:11 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Richard
writes

It's not that I don't trust him.

Then pay him what he asks for.

--
Flossie
Old 29-03-2011, 10:09 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Flossie Lurker wrote:
It's not that I don't trust him.

Then pay him what he asks for.

If the nephew of OP (sorry, totally lost track of the thread) is anything
like my relatives, he won't /ask/ for anything, and the uncle will be
feeling like he should be offering something but not knowing what to offer.

PAY PER CLICK pystol United Kingdom 0 20-05-2010 04:02 AM
soya bean oil--usd 300 per Mt sunflower oil---USD300 per Mt vegetable oil---USD250 robertoil Texas 0 01-02-2008 03:40 AM
soya bean oil--usd 300 per Mt sunflower oil---USD300 per Mt vegetable oil---USD250 robertoil Australia 0 01-02-2008 01:14 AM
avocado Oil---USD300 per Mt biodiesel--USD400 per Mt canola oil / rapeseed oil--USD robertoil North Carolina 0 01-02-2008 12:53 AM
Please help select a gift shrub for my new nephew! Jeff Spivack Gardening 2 21-06-2004 01:02 AM