Old 30-03-2011, 05:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default A strange Spring

wrote in message
Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

Mike

Don't take life too seriously, you'll never get out alive

Old 30-03-2011, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

In what way would you say I was being paranoid, Mike?

Old 30-03-2011, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.

Why would I not?

animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.
Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

No, but you are now verging on the paranoia linked to vegetarianism ;-(

In what way would you say I was being paranoid, Mike?

Please post where I have said you are being paranoid.

Kindest regards

Old 30-03-2011, 11:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 30 Mar 2011 15:47:57 +0100, "Barney"
wrote:

"'Mike'" wrote in message ...

"Martin" wrote in message
.. .
On 29 Mar 2011 22:13:57 GMT, wrote:

Martin wrote:
Vegetarian jelly exists
http://www.dooyoo.co.uk/food/just-wh...stals/1269203/

It does, there are even a couple of different types. Agar-agar and
caraggean are, iirc, both seaweed based. You can also get a cornstarch
based one which is used as quick setting jelly that you are meant to use
in
flans.

Unfortunately* none of them are quite the same texture or insane flavours
as
the meaty version.

That's one of the problems of being a vegetarian after being a
carnivore, nothing is quite the same as real meat :-)

I can't get my head round why anybody would want to be vegetarian!!

Well, you're even, then. There are people who can't get their heads
round why anybody would want to eat an animal. I eat meat, but vive la
différence!

--
Mike.

Old 31-03-2011, 09:42 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.
Why would I not?
animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?

But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.

It was a serious question.

It was a serious answer.

Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

Raspberry jelly doesn't taste of calf either.

I didn't say it did. I have no problem with the taste of meat.

I think, Janet, we have covered this ground before. You don't "get"
vegetarianism, I have no intention of trying to "convert" you, therefore
there is little point wasting the time retreading the same ground. There
are many reasons I do it, but mostly it comes down to "because it seems like
the right thing for me to do". I'm sure I should be flattered that you are
showing an interest in my diet, but after 24 years of it I mostly just find
it a tiresome bore when people demand I explain my reasoning to them.
Old 31-03-2011, 10:35 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
I'm quite curious why you eat icecream but not gelatin.
Why would I not?
animal product? Male calves die to ensure lactation?
But they don't actually put the male calf into the ice-cream.

It was a serious question.

It was a serious answer.

Not unless you're getting some awfully odd flavours up there.

Raspberry jelly doesn't taste of calf either.

I didn't say it did. I have no problem with the taste of meat.

You made the joke about flavours, I responded in kind.

I think, Janet, we have covered this ground before. You don't "get"
vegetarianism,

Of course I do. I can perfectly understand and respect why for health
or conscience reasons some people won't consume any farmed animal products
at all. I am less clear on the health/conscience rationale of why one
highly processed animal fat/protein from the production line of dairy
farming is acceptable but another is not.

I have no intention of trying to "convert" you, therefore
there is little point wasting the time retreading the same ground. There
are many reasons I do it, but mostly it comes down to "because it seems like
the right thing for me to do". I'm sure I should be flattered that you are
showing an interest in my diet, but after 24 years of it I mostly just find
it a tiresome bore when people demand I explain my reasoning to them.

I made no "demand", I just said I was quite curious. Then you asked me
a question and I responded.

Janet.

Old 31-03-2011, 11:05 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Janet" wrote in message
In article ,
says...

Janet wrote:
[...]

One of my daughters 'went veggy' as a protest against factory farming. Made
it difficult at home, but your family are family. Then she was out one day
with her friends, one of which was tucking in to a Ham Roll. Daughter was
hungry. "Veggie" went out of the window. 'My going Veggie didn't stop
factory farming and I was suffering and depriving myself'

That was why I ask why people are "veggie". Very VERY few are veggie for
health reasons. Yes I know there are some, don't forget I am dealing with
people ALL the time, many on ex Service reunions which require 'feeding' and
special diets have to be provided.

Old 31-03-2011, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 31 Mar 2011 08:42:10 GMT, wrote:

Janet wrote:
[...]

Worth noting, though, that ice cream can contain gelatin as a
stabilizer; but I think the vegetable ones such as agar-agar are more
usual.

As it happens, I bought some agar powder in a Chinese shop yesterday,
so as to have it on hand for experiments when the ice-cream season
opens.

--
Mike.
Old 31-03-2011, 11:42 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Mike Lyle wrote:
Worth noting, though, that ice cream can contain gelatin as a
stabilizer; but I think the vegetable ones such as agar-agar are more
usual.

I have heard of it, but rarely encountered it. Occasionally in ice-lolly
encased ice-creams, but never in actual stand alone ice-cream. But then, I
also am a terrible ice-cream snob and tend to stick with the premium brand
stuff.

As it happens, I bought some agar powder in a Chinese shop yesterday,
so as to have it on hand for experiments when the ice-cream season
opens.

Let us know how it goes. Althoguh probably over there ---- not on here.
:-)