Old 14-04-2011, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Cordylines dead and maybe my banana too

Several cordyline australis "red star" in my back garden have
snuffed it. The bark has died and fallen away in places from the
base of the stem and the root has what looks like woodworm holes in
it. Any ideas how I can prevent this happening in the future?
Also for the second year running due to bad weather my musa basjoo
has been cut right down to the ground, only this year I can't see
any signs of life. Is it possible that the second harsh winter in
succession has done it in?

Thanks.
Old 14-04-2011, 06:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote

Several cordyline australis "red star" in my back garden have
snuffed it. The bark has died and fallen away in places from the
base of the stem and the root has what looks like woodworm holes in
it. Any ideas how I can prevent this happening in the future?
Also for the second year running due to bad weather my musa basjoo
has been cut right down to the ground, only this year I can't see
any signs of life. Is it possible that the second harsh winter in
succession has done it in?

As well as the two cold winters in a row there is also a disease that is
attacking Cordylines in the UK, a slime mould, and it's believed weakened
plants are very susceptible. If the trunk smells bad, is oozing muck, take
it out and hope it does not spread to others.
The only way you will prevent this in future is to try to keep the cold off
the plants in the winter...fleece, lagging, bubble wrap, straw ...

Well my Musa/Musella lasiocarpa gave up last year, saved two small offshoots
only, and that is the hardiest one so a M. basjoo may well be dead. Leave
it for as long as possible to see if any shoots come up from the base, check
the root to see if it's dead. Also under the loose stuff around the roots
you may find small shoots, just cut them off with any root and pot up and
keep them in the greenhouse as small offshoots will not cope with a winter
outside.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 15-04-2011, 01:57 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Steve" wrote in message

Several cordyline australis "red star" in my back garden have
snuffed it. The bark has died and fallen away in places from the
base of the stem and the root has what looks like woodworm holes in
it. Any ideas how I can prevent this happening in the future?
Also for the second year running due to bad weather my musa basjoo
has been cut right down to the ground, only this year I can't see
any signs of life. Is it possible that the second harsh winter in
succession has done it in?

Thanks.

Steve there is a good chance neither is dead, but after cold winters its
normal for these plants to be killed to the ground, the red leafed
cordylines are no where near as tough as their green leafed cousins. only
cure is move closer to the sea!

Give them until August before abandoning hope

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs