Old 28-09-2006, 11:55 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Reducing height of Cordylines and Yuccas

I have a Cordyline Australis and a Yucca in a large, netted outdoor aviary.
Both have grown over 8 foot tall and the top leaves are now penetrating the
roof netting. Is there any way of safely shortening them? If not, what are
my chances of digging them out and replanting them outside of the aviary,
successfully? The Cordyline is producing another head of leaves from the
base, what should one do with these? Leave them, remove them, or is it
possible to remove them as a separate plant and grow it on independently?
Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris.
Old 28-09-2006, 12:48 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
I have a Cordyline Australis and a Yucca in a large, netted outdoor
aviary. Both have grown over 8 foot tall and the top leaves are now
penetrating the roof netting. Is there any way of safely shortening
them? If not, what are my chances of digging them out and replanting
them outside of the aviary, successfully? The Cordyline is producing
another head of leaves from the base, what should one do with these?
Leave them, remove them, or is it possible to remove them as a
separate plant and grow it on independently? Thanks.

Just chop off the top of the cordyline to whaterver height you like!

I think but am not sure the same applies to the yucca.

pk

Old 28-09-2006, 03:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Chris wrote:
I have a Cordyline Australis and a Yucca in a large, netted outdoor aviary.
Both have grown over 8 foot tall and the top leaves are now penetrating the
roof netting. Is there any way of safely shortening them? If not, what are
my chances of digging them out and replanting them outside of the aviary,
successfully? The Cordyline is producing another head of leaves from the
base, what should one do with these? Leave them, remove them, or is it
possible to remove them as a separate plant and grow it on independently?
Thanks.
--
Best Regards,
Chris.

Warning: this is not science, just personal experience.

I once cut the top of an outdoors growing yucca - by accident, I won't
expand. It looked terrible for a while, but it grew back (slowly)
another head of leaves from the side of the stump that was left, and a
few years later actually ended up looking more interesting (that's my
version, and I'm sticking to it).

Cat(h)

Old 28-09-2006, 08:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day chris,

you should simply be able to cut the top off the plants, as far as i
know yuccas grow the same as cordalynes.

then you can divide the cut off section up and stick them into pots
they will then grow another plant(s) keep cutting about 6"s long for
me i've always had good results with the tip cutting trim off all but
the newest leaf formations and pot that end they take root faster.

not sure though if this time of the eyar for you is the best time to
do all this? you mayn have to keep the cutting in a warm area if you
can do it now.

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 11:55:30 +0100, Chris
wrote:

snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com
Old 29-09-2006, 10:53 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Thanks for all the replies, I'll just hack it off lower down then, and see
what happens. I don't think I am brave enough to try and move a plant
that's this well established!

--
Best Regards,
Chris.

Old 29-09-2006, 08:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

g'day chris,

they're not that hard to transplant, so long as you take a reasonable
root ball and cut away all but the newest growth leaves. again look to
your season they should be going dormant about now this might be best
done when they start to grow in the new season?

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 10:53:46 +0100, Chris
wrote:
snipped
With peace and brightest of blessings,

len

--
"Be Content With What You Have And
A World That You May Not Understand."

http://www.gardenlen.com

Cordylines dead and maybe my banana too Steve[_5_] United Kingdom 2 15-04-2011 01:57 PM
Yuccas and cordorlines Mick B Australia 1 06-09-2006 04:03 AM
Help! my yuccas are dying... mworkum Australia 2 20-09-2003 04:47 AM
Old cordylines only fade away Eric United Kingdom 0 20-08-2003 04:22 PM
Yucky Yuccas KPDOBES Gardening 2 25-04-2003 01:32 AM