Old 03-05-2011, 07:59 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Frost

Had one last night, another forecast for tonight here. Lets hope that we
don't get one in the beginning of June as we did some years ago. Crazy
weather!
Old 03-05-2011, 10:23 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
Had one last night, another forecast for tonight here. Lets hope that we
don't get one in the beginning of June as we did some years ago. Crazy
weather!
I used to live in Worcestershire, then in Kent, now in Yorkshire - all 3 places have been susceptible to frost up to the first week in June. It's the recent years of no frosts after April which have been abnormal.
__________________
Old 04-05-2011, 01:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Moonraker" wrote

Had one last night, another forecast for tonight here. Lets hope that we
don't get one in the beginning of June as we did some years ago. Crazy
weather!

Went down the plot early today and we had a hard grass frost last night.
Hearing of the possibility we had covered our early spuds with fleece but
they still got damaged on the tips of the leaves, other people hadn't
covered theirs and a lot of damage has been done in patches. Surprisingly on
other plots (new allotment gardeners!) where runner beans and cucurbits had
already been planted out some plants are decidedly dead and others look
almost untouched.

Only sowed our Beans and Cucurbits today along with the winter brassicas
(cabbages, cauliflowers, sprouts, savoy, & swede).

Ah well, time to get back down the plot weeding and watering.
--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 04-05-2011, 01:13 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
Had one last night, another forecast for tonight here. Lets hope that we
don't get one in the beginning of June as we did some years ago. Crazy
weather!

Went down the plot early today and we had a hard grass frost last night.
Hearing of the possibility we had covered our early spuds with fleece but
they still got damaged on the tips of the leaves, other people hadn't
covered theirs and a lot of damage has been done in patches. Surprisingly on
other plots (new allotment gardeners!) where runner beans and cucurbits had
already been planted out some plants are decidedly dead and others look
almost untouched.

Our potatoes should be ok cos we have been so late planting! Fiona on the
next plot must be hoping her beans didn't get hit, she only put them out on
Monday!

Nick phoned to say we'd had frost, and someone reckoned -6! I can't believe
that. No frost at all on grass or cars when I left for work at 7.20!

Old 04-05-2011, 10:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Moonraker
writes
Had one last night, another forecast for tonight here. Lets hope that
we don't get one in the beginning of June as we did some years ago.
Crazy weather!

We've escaped so far and none forecast tonight.
I've been checking both BBC and metcheck forecasts. Interestingly BBC
has been closest but slightly optimistic. Metcheck has always been about
5 degrees pessimistic.

(Temp sensor is about 3 metres above the house roof)
--
hugh
common sense." Buddha

last frost? Arwen Long North Carolina 1 06-03-2004 04:31 PM
Possible frost/freeze Saturday night/Sunday Morning Wayfarer Texas 8 28-03-2003 10:56 PM
American frost zones tim United Kingdom 21 23-02-2003 12:16 PM
USDA zones (frost zones) Anne Middleton/Harold Walker United Kingdom 5 22-02-2003 06:20 PM
When To Take Action Against Frost Protection? Fleemo Gardening 10 09-02-2003 08:01 AM