Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default blackcurrant and aphids

Hello,

I've got a Ben something blackcurrant and this year and last it hasn't
looked quite right. The leaves have been a paler, patchier green, than
they ought to be. Last year I was advised it might be a symptom of
poor soil and to use sulphate of potash (IIRC) but it is back again
this year. I have noticed a few white flies on it. Could the flies be
responsible for it?

I have another variety (I can't remember that one either!) and that is
much greener and unaffected. Do you think it can be cured or is it
time to dig it up?

Thanks,
Stephen.
Old 09-05-2011, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen" wrote in message
Hello,

I've got a Ben something blackcurrant and this year and last it hasn't
looked quite right. The leaves have been a paler, patchier green, than
they ought to be. Last year I was advised it might be a symptom of
poor soil and to use sulphate of potash (IIRC) but it is back again
this year. I have noticed a few white flies on it. Could the flies be
responsible for it?

I have another variety (I can't remember that one either!) and that is
much greener and unaffected. Do you think it can be cured or is it
time to dig it up?

Thanks,
Stephen.

Are the white flies in fact the dead skins of aphids shed as they grow?, you
will find them in the curled up leaves (the live ones) be careful what you
spray with as you are eventually hoping to eat the fruit!

--
Charlie, Gardening in Cornwall
and Lapageria rosea cvs

Old 09-05-2011, 02:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On May 9, 12:43*pm, "Charlie Pridham"
wrote:

[...]