Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-05-2011, 07:19 PM
Registered User

Default Figs in UK

I have a fig tree that I have been growing for two years after buying it as a shrub in a nursery. Its 'brown turkey' as I recall.

It thirved through last summer, then when Winter hit in the UK it lost all its leaves.
When Spring came it started growing again but the only leaves that have come back are on the new growth at the tips.

If it continues to do this its going to look a little odd.

I have seen figs in the UK with many thousands of leaves, growing in pub gardens and the like.
I wonder if this is normal behaviour? It seems healthy and even sprouted a fig this year. Its about 5ft tall. I wanted to keep it in the greenhosue for a few years to bulk up, before letting it out in the gasrden permanantly. If it repeats this behaviour its going to be tall and lanky but with leaves only on the top and my greenhouse is going to need a roof extension
I have put it outside in the sun when warm thinking it might be lackinmg sunlight, but no perceivable action yet.

Any advice please?

figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
Figs DScott Texas 5 06-07-2003 02:32 AM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM