Old 27-06-2003, 08:08 PM
DScott

Default Figs

I have a fig tree in my backyard, but I don't know what kind of fig it is.
It gets small green figs on it, but I've never seen any that actually look
ripe. Is there an ornamental fig, or is this a particular green fruited
type? I always thought figs were supposed to be brown when ripe.
Dianne

Old 27-06-2003, 09:08 PM
Texensis

"DScott" wrote in message
. ..
| I have a fig tree in my backyard, but I don't know what kind of fig
it is.
| It gets small green figs on it, but I've never seen any that
actually look
| ripe. Is there an ornamental fig, or is this a particular green
fruited
| type? I always thought figs were supposed to be brown when ripe.
| Dianne

They'll stay green and get bigger until the day the jays beat you to
them!

Old 27-06-2003, 10:56 PM
DScott

So how do I know when they're ripe? Do they get soft or darker in color, or
do I just know because I wake up one day and they're gone because the jays
got 'em first? Haha! By the way, thanks for the info.
Dianne

Old 28-06-2003, 05:20 PM
B.Server

On Fri, 27 Jun 2003 21:48:35 GMT, "DScott"
wrote:

So how do I know when they're ripe? Do they get soft or darker in color, or
do I just know because I wake up one day and they're gone because the jays
got 'em first? Haha! By the way, thanks for the info.
Dianne

Notice when the squirrels begin to look like sumo wrestlers and the
jays can barely get airborne.
Old 29-06-2003, 02:44 PM
Texensis

"DScott" wrote in message
. ..
| So how do I know when they're ripe? Do they get soft or darker in
color, or
| do I just know because I wake up one day and they're gone because
the jays
| got 'em first? Haha! By the way, thanks for the info.
| Dianne

You could try taking a bite out of one each day. Honestly, I don't
know how anybody
beats the critters to them. We had a neighbor who liked to make
old-fashioned fig
preserves, and somehow she managed to get firsties on her trees and on
ours, but
we've never managed. They just know.

Old 06-07-2003, 02:32 AM
G a e X a v i e r

My Brown Turkey finally has enough fruit and only a few have been chewed on
that I was able to pick a few ripe ones. They turn kinda golden brown and
soft. When you bite into them, they are rose colored in the center. I watered
the tree this year and it is about 8 feet tall now and 5 feet wide, so it is
bearing nicely after 3 years.

I think they are sort of flavorless IMO. What is the big deal about them?

another idea for figs Heidi Gardening 2 06-11-2003 12:32 AM
figs Judy Cosler Edible Gardening 2 01-09-2003 04:03 AM
my first figs in two years!! and some observations Madgardener Gardening 0 27-08-2003 03:32 PM
figs and birds John Savage Australia 11 05-04-2003 06:35 AM
Brown Turkey figs? Jane Edible Gardening 6 05-02-2003 03:11 AM