Old 22-05-2011, 06:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default I.D. please

I used to know what it is called but I've forgotten. It's not uncommon.
It's perennial, with habit and leaves like a species geranium. The leaves
have one dark spot in the middle of them. The flower is burgundy/purple,
reflexed like a potato flower with a pointy bit sticking out the front. It
is extremely attractive to bees.
The moment someone is able to suggest what it is, I'll recognise the name
immediately, it's on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me mad!
TIA

Tina

Old 22-05-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Christina Websell" wrote ...

I used to know what it is called but I've forgotten. It's not uncommon.
It's perennial, with habit and leaves like a species geranium. The leaves
have one dark spot in the middle of them. The flower is burgundy/purple,
reflexed like a potato flower with a pointy bit sticking out the front.
It is extremely attractive to bees.
The moment someone is able to suggest what it is, I'll recognise the name
immediately, it's on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me mad!
TIA

Geranium phaeum perhaps? Some of those have dark patches on the leaves.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 22-05-2011, 11:31 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christina Websell View Post
I used to know what it is called but I've forgotten. It's not uncommon.
It's perennial, with habit and leaves like a species geranium. The leaves
have one dark spot in the middle of them. The flower is burgundy/purple,
reflexed like a potato flower with a pointy bit sticking out the front. It
is extremely attractive to bees.
The moment someone is able to suggest what it is, I'll recognise the name
immediately, it's on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me mad!
That almost sounds like Geranium phaeum, aka Mourning Widow.
__________________

Old 23-05-2011, 07:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

Christina Websell;922415 Wrote:
I used to know what it is called but I've forgotten. It's not
uncommon.
It's perennial, with habit and leaves like a species geranium. The
leaves
have one dark spot in the middle of them. The flower is
burgundy/purple,
reflexed like a potato flower with a pointy bit sticking out the front.
It
is extremely attractive to bees.
The moment someone is able to suggest what it is, I'll recognise the
name
immediately, it's on the tip of my tongue and it's driving me mad!

That almost sounds like Geranium phaeum, aka Mourning Widow.

That's the one, thanks, Kay.