Old 25-05-2011, 11:22 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default More on my garlic

Bob Hobden mentioned in my earlier post that
I might have rust.
Looking closer yesterday some of the leaves do
look a bit like rust, others are just turning brown
as if dying off.
If this is rust, I know nothing about it and have never heard
of it before.
Is something to worry about, is there a cure, if so what is
the treatment ???
Also I would like to know what causes it.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Wally

Old 25-05-2011, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Wally" wrote

Bob Hobden mentioned in my earlier post that
I might have rust.
Looking closer yesterday some of the leaves do
look a bit like rust, others are just turning brown
as if dying off.
If this is rust, I know nothing about it and have never heard
of it before.
Is something to worry about, is there a cure, if so what is
the treatment ???
Also I would like to know what causes it.
Any advice on this would be appreciated.

Caused by a fungus which often overwinters on Leeks so don't plant those
anywhere near where you intend to plant Garlic. The RHS say there are no
cures (chemicals) available to the amateur gardener but an old "organic"
gardening book says spray with Bordeaux Mixture twice in two weeks to stop
the infection. Rust often does not damage the yield but we have had it
destroy our garlic much too early for a decent crop. I've used BM this year
and it appears to have stopped the attack from getting worse, it's certainly
not spread.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 25-05-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Caused by a fungus which often overwinters on Leeks so don't plant those
anywhere near where you intend to plant Garlic. The RHS say there are no
cures (chemicals) available to the amateur gardener but an old "organic"
gardening book says spray with Bordeaux Mixture twice in two weeks to stop
the infection. Rust often does not damage the yield but we have had it
destroy our garlic much too early for a decent crop. I've used BM this
year and it appears to have stopped the attack from getting worse, it's
certainly not spread.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden
W.of London. UK

Thank you Bob, I do use BM to spray my toms and pots to prevent
blight so luckily I have some in the shed.
First job in the morning.

Wally

More Macros - Bee-Garlic-Chive_6790.jpg (1/1) Donn Thorson Garden Photos 1 10-09-2009 11:59 AM
Garlic - garlic.jpg Ann Garden Photos 2 03-04-2008 11:31 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 17 06-03-2004 04:27 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM
more garlic questions harry411 Edible Gardening 0 05-03-2004 12:40 AM