Old 31-05-2011, 01:55 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Keep the water butt half full/empty?

It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 31-05-2011, 04:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 31 May 2011 13:55:35 +0100, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:

It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R

buy a second barrel.

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 31-05-2011, 04:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in
:

It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the
water butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the
water coming off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R

Erm, are you joking?
Use your water.

Baz
Old 31-05-2011, 05:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On May 31, 1:55*pm, "David WE Roberts"
wrote:
It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

An idea I have is to use a leaky hose as overflow. People here said it
would work but I've yet to implement it, not least because they aren't
cheap. My question is: Will it work from the low pressure at the top
of the tank, or do they expect higher pressure from the bottom? If the
latter, I'd need to (a) be in/awake, and (b) go out in the rain to
turn a tap, or have an automatic control.

Chris
Old 31-05-2011, 06:31 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
[...]

Keep an eye on Lidl - they occasionally sell perfectly good leaky hose
dirt cheap (I think you've just missed such an occasion
unfortunately).

But it's unlikely that leaky hose will be effective from a water butt.
I have several lengths running on mains pressure, which isn't that
good round here, and find that the ends furthest from the tap don't
leak that much.

In any event, it's highly unlikely that leaky hose will take enough
water to act as an overflow unless you only have a few feet of
guttering feeding the butt or it doesn't rain that much. The overflow
outlet needs to have the same capacity as the inlet or the water will
just push the lid up and you don't want that to happen.

(At least my cat doesn't kill bunnies)

Jake

Old 31-05-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R

Do not "chuck". Water evenly for best effect in the appropriate order
of (1) veg, (2) young plants, (3) established plants and (4) lawn. In
relation to (1), there is an internal priority of course.

And give bunny something to drink

Actually, if it's only raining gently, watering can have a beneficial
effect. Something else that sounds daft, as do many things in life,
but ...

Jake
Old 31-05-2011, 06:57 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]
If I think rain is coming, I fill all my watering cans, so that there is at least some room in the butts. Wouldn't waste water on a lawn though ;-)
__________________
Old 31-05-2011, 07:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:
It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Cheers

Dave R
[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

The downside is that you don't know when the rain will stop.
Old 31-05-2011, 07:37 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

An idea I have is to use a leaky hose as overflow.

But it it's raining enough to overfill the butt, does the lawn need more
water?

Old 31-05-2011, 08:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water
butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

Before your valued responses arrived I rushed out and started bucketing the
water out of the butt and spreading it on the new turf.
I was going to half empty the butt but got carried away.
When I got to 3/4 empty the water was getting very murky so I decided to
empty it completely.
The last bit went on the garden complete with silt and leaves.

I now have a rinsed out water butt which is about 1/3 full and it just
started raining again.

I really need more than one water butt because I have quite a lot of roof
area so the butt fills quickly when it rains.
However my "to do" list is slightly large than "War and Peace" so it may
have to wait awhile.

Oh, and bucket because it is by far the quickest way of getting water out of
the butt.

Now if only the rest of the grass would perk up and look vaguely green again
the new turf wouldn't stand out as much.

Old 31-05-2011, 10:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"kay" wrote in message

'David WE Roberts[_2_ Wrote:
;924952']It is raining gently at the moment.
The lawn is still parched.
The water butt is full.

It has occurred to me that perhaps I should keep half emptying the water

butt and chucking the water on the grass so I don't waste the water
coming
off the roof.

Any downside to this strategy?
[Apart from doing it whilst it is still raining.]

If I think rain is coming, I fill all my watering cans, so that there is
at least some room in the butts. Wouldn't waste water on a lawn though
;-)

Pending the revolution, lawn is mostly what I have at the moment.
Rumour has it that it shouldn't be straw coloured :-(

Old 01-06-2011, 10:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Jake" Nospam@invalid wrote in message

(At least my cat doesn't kill bunnies)

What a pity, rabbits can be a real nuisance, they eat you veg and dig up
your lawn!

Jake

Old 01-06-2011, 10:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post

Pending the revolution, lawn is mostly what I have at the moment.
Rumour has it that it shouldn't be straw coloured :-(
It'll green up again soon enough.

Of course, if you neglected it and let it go to clover and daisies, it wouldn't have gone straw coloured in the first place :-)