Old 02-06-2011, 09:03 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles
Default Winter radish mistakenly sown in spring

I didn't realise that one of the varieties of radish I bought was a winter radish. (I'm not sure even now how large the bulb is supposed to grow, it's called "Red Flesh" and is a Japanese variety.) So I sowed alongside the normal stuff in April, thinned it to 1 to 2 inches, like the normal stuff. It has grown tall, with a thick central stem, is flowering, and is not producing any root bulb volume. Normal radish treated the same way is giving me a crop.

What should I do with this winter radish? Wait? Thin it out to a wider spacing and wait? Cut off the central stem? Pull it all out and throw it away?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:36 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by echinosum View Post
I didn't realise that one of the varieties of radish I bought was a winter radish. (I'm not sure even now how large the bulb is supposed to grow, it's called "Red Flesh" and is a Japanese variety.) So I sowed alongside the normal stuff in April, thinned it to 1 to 2 inches, like the normal stuff. It has grown tall, with a thick central stem, is flowering, and is not producing any root bulb volume. Normal radish treated the same way is giving me a crop.

What should I do with this winter radish? Wait? Thin it out to a wider spacing and wait? Cut off the central stem? Pull it all out and throw it away?
If it's flowering, you'll not get a root. You could try eating the leaves, and waiting for seed pods and eating them. Or letting the seeds ripen and sow them later at the proper time ;-) But if it's in the way of other possible crops, I'd suggest throwing it out.
__________________
Old 02-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by kay View Post
If it's flowering, you'll not get a root. You could try eating the leaves, and waiting for seed pods and eating them. Or letting the seeds ripen and sow them later at the proper time ;-) But if it's in the way of other possible crops, I'd suggest throwing it out.
Thanks. Throw them out it will be. I think I still have seed in the packet for sowing later.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

kay;925213 Wrote: If it's flowering, you'll not get a root. You could try eating the

--
echinosum

?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????????????????? ?????????????????????????????????????
Old 03-06-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"echinosum" wrote in
message ...

I didn't realise that one of the varieties of radish I
bought was a
winter radish. (I'm not sure even now how large the bulb
is supposed to
grow, it's called "Red Flesh" and is a Japanese variety.)
So I sowed
alongside the normal stuff in April, thinned it to 1 to 2
inches, like
the normal stuff. It has grown tall, with a thick central
stem, is
flowering, and is not producing any root bulb volume.
Normal radish
treated the same way is giving me a crop.

What should I do with this winter radish? Wait? Thin it
out to a wider
spacing and wait? Cut off the central stem? Pull it all
out and throw it
away?

Eat the leaves, quite tasty chopped up as a stir-fry. Then
get rid of it. Sounds like it needs to be sown when it's
autumn and cold and wet.

I sowed two varieties about 1-1/2 months ago, one was
French, and has come to nothing much, because it has been so
dry and we were away. The other one was called an 18-day
radish or some such, and they look really round and tasty.
Going to try one now :-)

someone

Autumn sown peas Ed Gardening 7 25-10-2008 09:56 AM
Mowing a recently sown lawn LETMO Lawns 3 17-04-2008 10:01 AM
Using Vermiculite on top of newly sown seeds Merryterry United Kingdom 1 11-04-2008 06:16 PM
Newly sown grass tezgreen Lawns 4 17-05-2007 01:06 PM
Replacing Grass that was mistakenly killed by Crabgrass Spray JD Lawns 5 31-07-2005 08:20 PM