Old 05-06-2011, 09:20 AM
Registered User

Default Pruning a young laburnum tree

I planted a laburnum tree about 3 years ago, its taken well and this year has started growing fast it's now 9ft high, I would like some advice on how to train it for the best shape, its grown 2ft in height this year but the new growth is bending over, will this straighten on its own or should I prune it shorter, or straighten it with a cane? its also producing more side branches on its north side (its planted in full sun), should I cut some of these off to balance it up? advice would be appreciated
Attached Thumbnails
Pruning a young laburnum tree-picture.jpg
Old 05-06-2011, 09:43 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian200 View Post
I planted a laburnum tree about 3 years ago, its taken well and this year has started growing fast it's now 9ft high, I would like some advice on how to train it for the best shape, its grown 2ft in height this year but the new growth is bending over, will this straighten on its own or should I prune it shorter, or straighten it with a cane? its also producing more side branches on its north side (its planted in full sun), should I cut some of these off to balance it up? advice would be appreciated
It's supposed to bend over. Laburnums have a spreading to weeping habit, and the ones that are more weeping tend to look nicer.

Strange smell - laburnum tree? Julia[_2_] United Kingdom 2 29-01-2020 10:26 AM
Laburnum tree and pond fish Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 24 12-03-2013 01:39 PM
Pruning Laburnum vomog United Kingdom 1 24-11-2009 06:02 PM
Wisteria 'tree', Embothrium and Laburnum arch Sacha[_3_] United Kingdom 4 15-05-2008 10:52 AM
Need advice on pruning young fig tree [email protected] Gardening 2 13-04-2006 07:13 PM