Old 13-06-2011, 12:43 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default shrub ID

On Saturday I saw a white-flowered shrub on the far bank of a canal.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05a.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05b.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub06a.jpg

I interpret it as having opposite foliage, which eliminates all the
various rosaceous shrubs. The venation pattern of the leaves is wrong
for Philadelphus, or at least the common forms (and more obviously the
flowers have the wrong number of petals). I don't think it's Deutzia
either.

At this point I run out of ideas. Any offers?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 13-06-2011, 02:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

On Jun 13, 12:43*pm, Stewart Robert Hinsley
wrote:
On Saturday I saw a white-flowered shrub on the far bank of a canal.

* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05a.jpg
* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05b.jpg
* * *http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub06a.jpg

I interpret it as having opposite foliage, which eliminates all the
various rosaceous shrubs. The venation pattern of the leaves is wrong
for Philadelphus, or at least the common forms (and more obviously the
flowers have the wrong number of petals). I don't think it's Deutzia
either.

At this point I run out of ideas. Any offers?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

It's a rose, no question in my mind
Look at this and see how similar it is
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...lclimber03.jpg
Another even smaller single climber is this
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eclimber02.jpg
http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...eclimber01.jpg
Old 13-06-2011, 09:13 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
On Saturday I saw a white-flowered shrub on the far bank of a canal.

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05a.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub05b.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Shrub06a.jpg

I interpret it as having opposite foliage, which eliminates all the
various rosaceous shrubs. The venation pattern of the leaves is wrong
for Philadelphus, or at least the common forms (and more obviously the
flowers have the wrong number of petals). I don't think it's Deutzia
either.

At this point I run out of ideas. Any offers?
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Can I get a prize for getting it right? :-D

Philadelphus lewisii ....I thank you! *bows*
__________________
Yay! it's spring!
Old 13-06-2011, 09:20 PM
Drobium's Avatar
Registered User

Location: Bedworth ,Warwickshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drobium View Post
Can I get a prize for getting it right? :-D

Philadelphus lewisii ....I thank you! *bows*
Hmmm. changed my mind .

Now I think it's a shrub rose... maybe 'Kew Gardens'?

Rosa ‘Kew Gardens’ (Ausfence) In the Garden
Yay! it's spring!

shrub Honeysuckle Cereoid-UR12- Gardening 0 27-10-2003 02:42 PM
What is this shrub? animaux Texas 3 05-04-2003 11:11 AM
[IBC] unknown shrub, can it be used for bonsai? Sam Williams Bonsai 6 13-02-2003 02:55 AM
Planting new rosemary bush/shrub Anita Blanchard Gardening 1 04-02-2003 09:16 PM
evergreen shrub dying? Faye Lifford-Earle Gardening 0 24-01-2003 10:14 AM