Old 15-06-2011, 01:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Something new(to me) about new potatoes

A new neighbour gave me this.

If you dig your earlies and the parent potato is not rotten you can plant
them again.
I have done this and have good growth of foliage. Too early to look at the
roots but time will tell.

Any thoughts?

Baz
Old 15-06-2011, 03:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Baz" wrote in message
A new neighbour gave me this.

If you dig your earlies and the parent potato is not rotten you can plant
them again.
I have done this and have good growth of foliage. Too early to look at the
roots but time will tell.

Any thoughts?

I don't know about the parent potato and whether or not it's rotten, but I
have had some success digging up the plant carefully, leaving attached the
potatoes too small to be of use, and replanting the plant for later. Up to
half as many again is my estimate.

Steve

Old 15-06-2011, 03:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in message

"Baz" wrote in message
A new neighbour gave me this.

If you dig your earlies and the parent potato is not rotten you can plant
them again.
I have done this and have good growth of foliage. Too early to look at
the
roots but time will tell.

Any thoughts?

I don't know about the parent potato and whether or not it's rotten, but I
have had some success digging up the plant carefully, leaving attached the
potatoes too small to be of use, and replanting the plant for later. Up to
half as many again is my estimate.

Steve

I have done this with spuds under black polythene sheeting. We had half an
acre which was jungle, cleared it and sent the rotovator over it, laid out
long beds of peat/compost, covered it with black poly, cut a cross every
couple of foot or so, shoved a spud through the cross and left it. Lifted
the edge of the ploy later and 'picked' the spuds off as they grew. Left the
plant to carry on growing.

Had so many I was giving them away to the neighbours. (Always keep in with
your neighbours, you have to live with them) :-))

Then got planning permission and there are now two blocks of flats on the
land.

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 15-06-2011, 04:17 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"shazzbat" wrote in
:

"Baz" wrote in message
A new neighbour gave me this.

If you dig your earlies and the parent potato is not rotten you can
plant them again.
I have done this and have good growth of foliage. Too early to look
at the roots but time will tell.

Any thoughts?

I don't know about the parent potato and whether or not it's rotten,
but I have had some success digging up the plant carefully, leaving
attached the potatoes too small to be of use, and replanting the plant
for later. Up to half as many again is my estimate.

Steve

Yes Steve.
I often do not explain enough.
What I mean is lift all the spuds from the root. including tiny ones, as
they will volunteer next year. Re-plant the parent where it was harvested
and it will start again without using fresh space intended for other
things.

I hope this is clearer than my first ramblings.

Baz
Old 15-06-2011, 05:11 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

'Mike' wrote:
Then got planning permission and there are now two blocks of flats on the
land.

.... with potato plants growing through their living room floors.

Old 15-06-2011, 06:20 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

--

Don't know. I moved back to the Isle of Wight ;-)

I do know that the house I bought on the Island did have earth floors when
it was built! Very old. Waaaaaaaaaaaay before my time.

Old 15-06-2011, 06:39 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
What I mean is lift all the spuds from the root. including tiny ones, as
they will volunteer next year. Re-plant the parent where it was harvested
and it will start again without using fresh space intended for other
things.
I wouldn't have thought there was anything significant in using the parent rather than any of the "offspring". I can see that a large parent might grow more quickly into a larger plant than one of the tiny potatoes, but I cannot see there'd be any difference between using a parent or a similar sized offspring. They're all part of the same plant.
__________________
Old 15-06-2011, 06:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
'Mike' wrote:
Then got planning permission and there are now two blocks of flats on the
land.

... with potato plants growing through their living room floors.

Lucky devils!

Free potatoes!

Alan

Old 16-06-2011, 11:45 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

kay wrote in news:kay.86ece16
@gardenbanter.co.uk:

'Baz[_3_ Wrote:
;926885']
What I mean is lift all the spuds from the root. including tiny ones, as

they will volunteer next year. Re-plant the parent where it was
harvested
and it will start again without using fresh space intended for other
things.

I wouldn't have thought there was anything significant in using the
parent rather than any of the "offspring". I can see that a large parent
might grow more quickly into a larger plant than one of the tiny
potatoes, but I cannot see there'd be any difference between using a
parent or a similar sized offspring. They're all part of the same plant.

kay,
The offspring will grow NEXT year, the parent seed potato will give a
second crop THIS year. Starting a new "brood" if that makes any sense.

You might be asking yourself why would one want to do this.
The answer is that we all like new spuds as early as we can get them and we
are really digging up an immature plant with lots of immature small
potatoes which could grow larger but are of not much use.(I will post a use
for them later on in the year) but there are a few larger ones which are
useable in the kitchen. If the parent is in good condition, plant it again
and new potatoes will grow from it over this summer and maybe autumn.

I hope I have made my point a bit clearer.(my bad not yours)
Baz
Old 16-06-2011, 07:06 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baz[_3_] View Post
kay,
The offspring will grow NEXT year, the parent seed potato will give a
second crop THIS year. Starting a new "brood" if that makes any sense.
OK, this is something I hadn't heard of. So thinking through the logic - the only reason why it would continue producing tubers *this* year is that it's still attached to the plant (otherwise it doesn't have the means to produce tubers). So as long as the plant is still healthy, does it matter whether or not the 'parent' tuber is still intact?