Old 18-06-2011, 06:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default gardening satisfaction

On of the things I enjoy most about gardening is the long cycles of
activity. In a single year, seed begins stratification in fall, takes
chances in the seed bed, gets pricked out and goes through the cycle of
the growing season before taking its chances again out of doors in
winter. Only the following year (perhaps) does it reveal the
characteristics of the plant; some seedlings may take several years,
like "late developing" children. And some of the cycles are far
longer... (I suppose its the same reason I buy wine to lay down, there's
a great satisfaction to shepherding a bottle from the vineyard to the
table during 10 or more years.)

Well, 18 years ago I planted a little pole-stage tulip tree, a stick a
few feet tall. Today it's a fine young tree of perhaps 25 feet. Every
year I scan it, and this year for the first time, a beautiful orange
yellow flower near the top. Really only visible with opera glasses, and
only one, but hopefully the dam has now burst. Worth the wait, and very
satisfying to see.

-E
Old 18-06-2011, 08:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 18/06/2011 18:49, Emery Davis wrote:
[...]

Couldn't have put it better myself. Something like that is always worth
waiting for. It's a really wonderful tree that I am surprised isn't
grown more in municipal gardens. I wonder how old yours was from seed
when you planted it? I trust it will now flower regularly; maybe it
wasn't just its age, but the very cold winter and warm spring which has
triggered its flowering.

Around 1986 I bought a 15" high Chordospartium (now Carmichaelia)
stevensonii. I moved it twice, and after 14 years it flowered when
about 6 feet high, and has continued to do so - in fact it's about to
flower now. Another plant well worth waiting for.

--

Jeff
Old 18-06-2011, 11:48 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery Davis[_3_] View Post
On of the things I enjoy most about gardening .....
When a tree I have grown from seed has its first flowers.

And the annual highlight ... when I have at last managed to lose an entire bin full of compost across the garden, and can tip into the empty bin the unrotted stuff from the next bin and reveal another load of perfect compost waiting to be spread ...
__________________
Old 19-06-2011, 10:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/18/2011 09:40 PM, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 18/06/2011 18:49, Emery Davis wrote:

Well, 18 years ago I planted a little pole-stage tulip tree, a stick a
few feet tall. Today it's a fine young tree of perhaps 25 feet. Every
year I scan it, and this year for the first time, a beautiful orange
yellow flower near the top. Really only visible with opera glasses, and
only one, but hopefully the dam has now burst. Worth the wait, and very
satisfying to see.

Couldn't have put it better myself. Something like that is always worth
waiting for. It's a really wonderful tree that I am surprised isn't
grown more in municipal gardens. I wonder how old yours was from seed
when you planted it? I trust it will now flower regularly; maybe it
wasn't just its age, but the very cold winter and warm spring which has
triggered its flowering.

I wondered also if it was the drought. Certainly a pleasure to see, though.

Around 1986 I bought a 15" high Chordospartium (now Carmichaelia)
stevensonii. I moved it twice, and after 14 years it flowered when
about 6 feet high, and has continued to do so - in fact it's about to
flower now. Another plant well worth waiting for.

Yes those are gorgeous, on the list of things I'd like to plant actually.

Now I'm waiting for the Kalopanax to bloom! And of course the Davidia,
but that seems to be getting smaller not bigger, sadly.

=E