Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 22-06-2011, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucalyptus question

A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. So far, no problem. Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. I was alarmed. I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling
foundation-wreckers, and advised her to think again. Am I right? Even
if she keeps it trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too
invasive. I don't want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm
her house, either.

I would be most grateful for your opinions, urglers all.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London