Old 22-06-2011, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Eucalyptus question

A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. So far, no problem. Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. I was alarmed. I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling
foundation-wreckers, and advised her to think again. Am I right? Even
if she keeps it trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too
invasive. I don't want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm
her house, either.

I would be most grateful for your opinions, urglers all.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 22-06-2011, 05:37 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spider[_3_] View Post
[...]

Eucs are certainly among the most aggressive there is in sucking out water.

Intentions to keep something small are one thing...

Unlike Leylandii, Eucalyptus dont' die if you prune them at ground level. She is creating a permanent risk.

I wouldn't do this.
Old 22-06-2011, 05:56 PM
GardenerBlog's Avatar
Registered User

In my hometown, people often use essential oils extracted from leaves of eucalyptus to treat respiratory diseases. Eucalyptus is a large tree, it's not good to plant it close to home because of its roots as you said.
Old 22-06-2011, 10:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:40:54 +0100, Spider wrote:

A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. So far, no problem. Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. I was alarmed. I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling
foundation-wreckers, and advised her to think again. Am I right? Even
if she keeps it trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too
invasive. I don't want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm
her house, either.

I would be most grateful for your opinions, urglers all.

As urg's token Aussie (even if Anglicised almost to the point of
cultural genocide) I love gum trees. But not the way your neighbour
wants to use one: your misgivings are wholly justified, and it would
be totally insane to plant it so close to a house. And pruning the top
doesn't prune the roots. Personally, I don't think anybody with a
garden of less than an acre should ever plant a Eucalyptus gunnii,
which is what this presumably is.

I used to have the URL of a table of distances from structures which
the insurance business regarded as safe: it should be easy to Ggl, and
I'd recommend you to do so.

(OTish. Many years ago, my mother was asked over drinks at a
not-quite-statelyish home, "What do your famous gum trees _look_
like?" She looked out the French windows, and pointed out a suitable
comparison: "Oh," responded the not entirely impressed Poms, "that
one's been struck by lightning.")

--
Mike.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:27 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Spider our neighbours at our last house had one in their front garden close
to the fence. Grew very fast and spindly, then fell over in a slight wind.
The root structure was across the surface of the ground and had no stability
or holding power. (Fell across the dividing fence)

If your neighbour keeps it well trimmed, not much of a problem, but what if
trimming is left for a year/period?

I would touch one with a Barge Pole, nor a Kilmarnock Willow for the same
reason

Mike

Remember, a statue has never been erected to a critic.

Old 23-06-2011, 07:29 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Spider" wrote in message
[...]

Try, 'wouldn't' touch one :-((

Sorry

Old 23-06-2011, 09:07 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
Ray's impression of them
is that they root less deeply in UK because of our much wetter climate.
My own experience of them in a former, walled, Jersey garden is that they blew over rather easily, so I do wonder how bad a root problem there is in Britain.
But they are still going to be as aggressive in sucking the water out of a clay soil as the most aggressive native tree.
A common reason for Eucs blowing over is that they are left to grow on in a pot for too long before being planted out. They become pot-bound very quickly and it affects their root structure for the rest of their life, unless you are very rigorous about carefully untangling and spreading out the roots. They should be put in the ground small. Another reason is misguided staking of the tree. See Cultural information for growing Eucalyptus in cool climates
Old 23-06-2011, 12:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:40:54 +0100, Spider wrote:

A friend and neighbour of mine arrived home yesterday evening with a
Eucalytpus. I'm not sure which one, but it's one of those whose young
foliage is round.

She wants to plant it in front of her sitting room window on the site of
a dead Cordyline. She intends to keep it as a low shrub so it doesn't
exclude light. So far, no problem. Unfortunately, her chosen planting
site is about 1m (3ft) in front of the house. I was alarmed. I have
always believed that Eucalypts were drain-strangling
foundation-wreckers, and advised her to think again. Am I right? Even
if she keeps it trimmed, I would have thought the roots would be too
invasive. I don't want to spoil her plans, but she doesn't want to harm
her house, either.

I would be most grateful for your opinions, urglers all.

I'm told that the age of the building can make a major difference. If
the house is more than 30-40 years old, then a minimum of 6 metres is
recommended. It's because of the way foundations have changed since
then - they are now stronger and better able to cope with invading
roots and ground moisture loss (and eucalyptus is a very thirsty
being). ISTR that, in addition, eucalyptus can be very combustible in
dry weather.
Old 23-06-2011, 06:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

as sacha said,

they are noted for falling over for no apparent reason at no
particular time, lopping them makes them all the more dangerous (lived
in rural seen it all, geat lightening conductes as well). the general
rule of thumb for a safe distance is the matue height of the tree +
50% for me it is the mature height plus 100%.

they not only have the capacity to fall but he drop major limbs at the
drop of a hat. and that close to a house as well!!??

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 23:28:05 +0100, Sacha wrote:

snipped
--

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

Old 23-06-2011, 06:16 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Matthew 25:13 KJV
"Watch therefore, for ye know neither
the day nor the hour wherein the Son
of man cometh"

Mark 13:33 "Take ye heed, watch and pray:
for ye know not when the time is".

and also: Isaiah 38:1&17-18 KJV

1: Thus saith the Lord, set thine house in order: for thou shalt die and
not live.
17: for thou hast cast all my sins behind my back.
18: For the grave cannot praise thee, death cannot celebrate thee: they
that go down in the pit cannot hope for truth.

len

With peace and brightest of blessings,

"Seek truth and understanding will follow"

http://www.lensgarden.com.au/

What the blue blazes has all of this rubbish got to do with gardening?

Mike

Shanklin Theatre has 'come back to life'
www.shanklintheatre.com

Old 23-06-2011, 08:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 23/06/2011 12:00, Jake wrote:
On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 15:40:54 +0100, wrote:

[...]

Thank you so much, everyone! You've told me exactly what I need to
know. David, I will tell her about the possibility of pot culture, but
I think she feels it must be in the ground, so your "NO WAY" seems to
fit in with the general concensus.

I did wonder (aloud and in her presence) whether some judicious root
pruning would help, but I think that sounded too technical for her and,
since one or two of you have suggested that root damage is especially
harmful for Eucs, I'd now say that's a no-no, too.

She is a very sensible lady and will heed all the warnings and, indeed,
be grateful for them, so thanks once again.

Old 23-06-2011, 08:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Old 25-06-2011, 08:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I have a very tall spindly Eucalptus that I find very useful telling me
which way the wind is blowing :-)

kate