Old 22-06-2011, 04:32 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Redcurrants

My redcurrants are ripening much earlier than usual (by about 2 weeks at
least). However when I started picking, I noticed that there are masses
of fruiting stalks this year, but each stalk only has between five and
eight currants on it, and lots of empty mini=stalks where the other
fruit should be. I would guess that each stalk is only about 50%
populated with fruit, as opposed to the normal 80-100%. I'm wondering
why.

Some ideas:

Some predator, insect/bird? Plants are in a cage.

Lack of pollinating insects at a crucial time. May not explain why the
fruit is all at the plant end of the stalk.

Plant decided that it could not support any more fruit and shed the
lower fruit. Seems implausible, I did notice that the flowers were all
down the stalks.

Anyone else seen the problem, and got any ideas as to the cause?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 22-06-2011, 10:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 22 Jun 2011 16:32:24 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

[...]

yes birds

Pam in Bristol

Old 22-06-2011, 11:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

wrote:

[...]

I don't think so! They are in a cage!

I did have a couple of days when young chaffinches and a young blue tit
got in, but that was before they had ripened!

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Old 22-06-2011, 11:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Roger Tonkin wrote:
Some predator, insect/bird? Plants are in a cage.

My early redcurrant was totally stripped, I think by pigeons. The later one
is just ripening and so far is ok, but I've netted it now, just in case.

Anyone else seen the problem, and got any ideas as to the cause?

I did have a lot of fruit drop during the dry spell, but I think that was
mostly blackcurrants
Old 23-06-2011, 07:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 22, 4:32*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
[...]

Poor pollination. If there is cold weather when the flowers come out,
the insects don't get round them all & the unpollinated ones drop off.
Old 23-06-2011, 07:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jun 22, 11:00*pm, Roger Tonkin wrote:
In article , nospamigg1937
@yahoo.co.uk says...

wrote:

[...]

700 ft up in Mid-Wales- Hide quoted text -

I hope the mesh is big enough to allow pollinating insects in.