Old 24-06-2006, 03:09 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Janet Galpin

Default What to do with redcurrants

This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?

Janet G
Old 24-06-2006, 04:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Pam Moore

On Sat, 24 Jun 2006 15:09:01 +0100, Janet Galpin
wrote:

This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?

Janet G

Redcurrant jelly is my favourite, but you can't do it without sugar!

Pam in Bristol
Old 24-06-2006, 05:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Janet Galpin writes
This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?

They're an absolute pain getting rid of all the stalks. They say 'use a
fork' to strip off the berries, but it's fiddly and boring. Destalking
frozen redcurrants is easier as they fall off the stems when you shake
them around or stir them vigorously and you can then just pick out the
stems. Fingers get cold though.

They freeze well - just heave them all into a carrier bag and put into
the freezer. They don't seem to lose shape and texture when thawed.

Just as they are (no sugar) with yogurt is good. They're naturally quite
sweet so you can add them to all sorts of fruit salads and things.

They're a good addition to any recipe with raspberries or strawberries
or blackberries. Summer pudding - that thing where you line a basin with
white bread, fill with fruit, more bread on top, and squash in the
fridge for a day, so the bread soaks up all the juice.

I used redcurrant jelly with roast poultry, but I think you can do a
redcurrant sauce with vinegar which would have less sugar.
--
Kay
Old 24-06-2006, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
JennyC

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?
Janet G

Put them in cake or muffin mix

Combination jam with other summer fruit

Semolina pud with redcurrant sauce (probably go well with rice pud too!)
http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/rec...uce42306.shtml

Cordial (has quite a lot of sugar)
http://www.abc.net.au/hobart/stories/s675500.htm

Tart
http://www.deliciousdays.com/archive...-currant-tart/

Summer pudding?

Sorbet
http://www.deliciousdays.com/archive...urrant-sorbet/

Booze !!
http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/redcurra.htm

Wine
http://www.finevinewines.com/Redcurrant_Recipe.htm

Ice cream
http://www.scottishfoodfortnight.co....36&Itemi d=36

By the look of it, you might need to go plant some more bushes Janet :~))

Jenny

Old 24-06-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Russel Sprout

"Janet Galpin" wrote in message
This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?

Janet G

Redcurrants make great red wine, which I hear is healthy in moderation.

Substitute for tamarind or lemon in indian cooking.

Souse in rum/brandy for a winter liqueur, less healthy, but worth it.

Old 24-06-2006, 08:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Chris Hogg

wrote:

This year for the first time ever I've got round to netting my
redcurrants which means that I've got a bumper crop.

The trouble is I'm a bit stuck for ways of using them. I'd like some
ways that are reasonably healthy, i.e. without having to use loads of
sugar. I guess with honey and yogurt would be worth trying. Any other
ideas?

Janet G

You seem to be implying that sugar will do you harm and that honey
won't. To all intents and purposes, honey is just a very strong
solution of sugar (sucrose) in water, hydrolysed to fructose and
glucose, with small quantities of some other sugars such as mannose,
and trace amounts of things such as pollen, flavours and bee crap.
Although there are those who attribute wonderful healing properties to
honey, it contains the same number of calories as an equivalent amount
of sugar, and in that respect is no less harmful.

Go ahead, use sugar!

--
Chris