Old 27-06-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heat wave :-)

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just heard from an annoying offspring sitting on the beach in
Jersey in brilliant sunshine.

Here's another annoyance for you:- It's blazing hot and dry up here
in Manchester despite forecasts of rain.

Steve

Yesterday in my garden = 81.5°F
Today, before 12:00 it was 87.5°

It's supposed to cool off sharply tomorrow..
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-06-2011, 12:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Stephen Wolstenholme" wrote in message
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just heard from an annoying offspring sitting on the beach in
Jersey in brilliant sunshine.

Here's another annoyance for you:- It's blazing hot and dry up here
in Manchester despite forecasts of rain.

Steve

We had it cloud over for a while but it's back to scorching sun again here
on this part of the Isle of Wight with a slight breeze.

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 27-06-2011, 12:26 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Martin" wrote in message
On 27 Jun 2011 10:54:20 GMT, wrote:

Sacha wrote:
Our 2nd greenhouse was up to 100 yesterday, before I thought to open
the
door!
It's raining very slightly here. There went summer!!

Paper says thunderstorms and tornadoes by tonight. Glad I didn't bring a
coat!

"Somebody said that there is a hurricane on the way ..."
--

Martin

:-))

I see he is playing on that one now in adverts!!

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 27-06-2011, 02:10 PM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Hobden View Post
Have to go back down
later as we forgot to water the Chillies and Aubergines which are under
large plastic cloches this year.
I wish my peppers were under cloches this year. We had the garage rebuilt a couple of years ago and I now have a south facing wall to place them against, (in pots) which worked wonders last year, with plenty of fruit set on them by the end of June. This year June has been so cool until the last few days that they made very little progress at all. Likewise my squash plants, which have probably got smaller in the 6 weeks since I planted them out, until the last couple of days.
Old 27-06-2011, 02:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin wrote:
Yesterday in my garden = 81.5?F
Today, before 12:00 it was 87.5?

We haven't had anything F for decades in our garden :-)

Hot temperatures are measured in F (as in "it's nearly 100!!") and cold
temperatures are in C ("Blimey, it's minus 5!!")

Old 27-06-2011, 03:07 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
Martin wrote:
Yesterday in my garden = 81.5?F
Today, before 12:00 it was 87.5?

We haven't had anything F for decades in our garden :-)

Hot temperatures are measured in F (as in "it's nearly 100!!") and cold
temperatures are in C ("Blimey, it's minus 5!!")

:-))

I like it

Much more impressive than 36C and 24F ;-)

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 27-06-2011, 04:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:15:46 +0100, Gordon H
wrote:

In message , Stephen
Wolstenholme writes
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just heard from an annoying offspring sitting on the beach in
Jersey in brilliant sunshine.

Here's another annoyance for you:- It's blazing hot and dry up here
in Manchester despite forecasts of rain.

Steve

Yesterday in my garden = 81.5°F
Today, before 12:00 it was 87.5°

We haven't had anything F for decades in our garden :-)

No flowers? What a shame!

I used °F because some old fogies don't understand centipede.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-06-2011, 04:53 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Martin
writes
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 12:10:07 +0100, Stephen Wolstenholme
wrote:

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just heard from an annoying offspring sitting on the beach in
Jersey in brilliant sunshine.

Here's another annoyance for you:- It's blazing hot and dry up here
in Manchester despite forecasts of rain.

and Stoke-on-Trent my daughter says it is too hot to work.

I put in about 15 minutes picking strawberries, then I gave up.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 27-06-2011, 07:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

It hit 40.3 here at 3pm today in SW France (Charente) - too hot for my
little seedlings.

"'Mike'" wrote in message

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

yes, Saturday's summer fete and then 2 hours of fruit picking on the
allotment yesterday and I feel lightly roasted.

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for
us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Our 2nd greenhouse was up to 100 yesterday, before I thought to open the
door!

Cold and overcast here yesterday but a scorcher today already. Almost
unbearable outside now, @ 10.o'clock!!! What's it going to be like later?
Just heard forecast and it looks like 31 degrees :-((

Yesterday was misty all day on the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight
because we are so close to the sea, BUT, I expect further North, they
would have had sunshine.

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 28-06-2011, 12:05 PM
Registered User

Location: SE England

Quote:
Originally Posted by David WE Roberts[_2_] View Post
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?
I have a big Honeywell pedestal fan on in the room I'm using at the moment If we had whole summers like this we would install aircon.

Yesterday, the water coming out of the hosepipe was lukewarm, so I took the opportunity to shampoo my Labrador. It was his first shampooing and he loved the whole experience.

My theory is, that supposedly sun-loving plants which have been reared in the UK before purchase, don't actually cope with hot sun too well. My sunflowers are wilted, despite being fed and watered, for example.