Old 26-06-2011, 09:23 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Heat wave :-)

Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Cheers

Dave R

[Not even bunny]

Helmuth von Moltke the Elder

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")

Old 26-06-2011, 09:33 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature
for us today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

It's 19.5C here right now, supposed to be 28C at peak. It'll be the first
hot day of the year if so.

Ian

Old 26-06-2011, 12:08 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Sacha
writes
Apparently it's about 21C in Plymouth but I doubt it's quite as high as
that here. Somehow, I think we'll struggle by!

No too hot for me Sacha, I was just off to do the hedges but not in this
sun! Wouldn't mind if there was the occasional cloud but it's blue sky
for miles.

Be glad when it cools down midweek apparently
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 26-06-2011, 12:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote

Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

It was so hot on the plot this morning I had to wear a hat for the first
time this year and weeding the onions was hard work. Have to go back down
later as we forgot to water the Chillies and Aubergines which are under
large plastic cloches this year.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 26-06-2011, 12:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message
"David WE Roberts" wrote

Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for
us today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

It was so hot on the plot this morning I had to wear a hat for the first
time this year and weeding the onions was hard work. Have to go back down
later as we forgot to water the Chillies and Aubergines which are under
large plastic cloches this year.

Watered the plot early this morning. Will do it again tonight. 22C in the
shade by my pond atm.
Pete C
SE London

Old 26-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User

Location: Bedfordshire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian B[_3_] View Post
David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature
for us today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

It's 19.5C here right now, supposed to be 28C at peak. It'll be the first
hot day of the year if so.

Ian
Supposed to go up to 27ºC here about 3PM, the greenhouse has all 4 vents wide open, the bottom vent open and both of the double doors open and it's now 35ºC in there. I'm sitting indoors cuddling the air-con unit because even on oxygen, very hot weather makes me breathless.
Old 26-06-2011, 05:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Granity" wrote in message

-

It's 19.5C here right now, supposed to be 28C at peak. It'll be the
first
hot day of the year if so.

Ian

Supposed to go up to 27ºC here about 3PM, the greenhouse has all 4 vents
wide open, the bottom vent open and both of the double doors open and
it's now 35ºC in there. I'm sitting indoors cuddling the air-con
unit because even on oxygen, very hot weather makes me breathless.

--
Granity

The sun has just come out on the South East part of the Isle of Wight :-))

09.33: Good morning and welcome to the first day of live coverage for the
14th NatWest Island Games, here on the IW. Around 50 runners from the 24
participating islands have set off on the men's and ladies' half marathon.
Six IW runners are taking part, with Jack Grundy heading the very early
running.

10.41: GOLD: The first medal of the NatWest Island Games is won by
Guernsey's Lee Merrien. He finished the half marathon in 1.08.36. Silver
goes to Kevin Loundes, of the Isle of Man, with bronze going to Sean Trott,
of Bermuda.

13.19: Windsurfing due to begin at 2pm after fog and lack of wind.

16.36: Windsurfing has been cancelled.

16.45: GOLD: Guernsey win their fourth gold medal of the day in the men's
criterion. Kieran Page comes fifth, Tim Hutchings comes seventh.

I just know that those with an Island interest will want to know about the
Island Games and others, who have posted here about the weather in their
area, will want to know about the weather on THIS PART of the Isle of Wight
(THIS PART? Because those who know the Isle of Wight KNOW that just a few
miles away, the sun has been shining ALL DAY )

Regards to all, especially those who email me ;-))

Mike
Taking to 'Po faced' attitude out of urg :-))

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 26-06-2011, 05:50 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Sea haar at the moment, and temperature dropping to 19C.
Hopefully tomorrow will be warmer.

Old 26-06-2011, 07:12 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 26/06/2011 17:50, David WE Roberts wrote:

"David WE Roberts" wrote in message
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature
for us today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Sea haar at the moment, and temperature dropping to 19C.
Hopefully tomorrow will be warmer.

Got up to 35c in the shade on my patio in Dunstable, it is a bit of a
sun trap, currently 29c, still can't bear to go in the greenhouse though.

Barry

--
Corporal Jones
"Don't panic don't panic"

Old 27-06-2011, 08:45 AM
Registered User

08:30 a.m sky is cloudless, going to be a hot one again. 30 degrees yesterday here in the Southwest.

Old 27-06-2011, 09:39 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

yes, Saturday's summer fete and then 2 hours of fruit picking on the
allotment yesterday and I feel lightly roasted.

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Our 2nd greenhouse was up to 100 yesterday, before I thought to open the
door!
Old 27-06-2011, 09:43 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Bob Hobden wrote:
It was so hot on the plot this morning I had to wear a hat for the first
time this year and weeding the onions was hard work.

Our onion plot seems to have suffered from grass seed scattering. Most
weeds have evolved to make themselves very attractive to small children
scattering them far and wide!!
Old 27-06-2011, 10:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote in message
David WE Roberts wrote:
Anyone struggling to cope with the heat yet?

yes, Saturday's summer fete and then 2 hours of fruit picking on the
allotment yesterday and I feel lightly roasted.

Despite the warnings from the BBC the highest predicted temperature for
us
today is 20C which is much the same as the last two weeks.

Our 2nd greenhouse was up to 100 yesterday, before I thought to open the
door!

Cold and overcast here yesterday but a scorcher today already. Almost
unbearable outside now, @ 10.o'clock!!! What's it going to be like later?
Just heard forecast and it looks like 31 degrees :-((

Yesterday was misty all day on the South East Coast of the Isle of Wight
because we are so close to the sea, BUT, I expect further North, they would
have had sunshine.

Mike

May you ' Rust in Peace' before you start the 'Countdown to Extinction'

Old 27-06-2011, 11:54 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Sacha wrote:
Our 2nd greenhouse was up to 100 yesterday, before I thought to open the
door!

It's raining very slightly here. There went summer!!

Paper says thunderstorms and tornadoes by tonight. Glad I didn't bring a
coat!
Old 27-06-2011, 12:10 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 11:44:03 +0100, Sacha wrote:

I've just heard from an annoying offspring sitting on the beach in
Jersey in brilliant sunshine.

Here's another annoyance for you:- It's blazing hot and dry up here
in Manchester despite forecasts of rain.

Steve