Old 28-06-2011, 03:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Anyone have the flying ants invasion yesterday?

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

Old 28-06-2011, 05:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:00:31 +0100, "Mentalguy2k8"
wrote:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

I'd have thought it was a bit early for "flying day" - you know that
day when every ants nest in the country manages a co-ordinated
explosion of flyers.

But that said, this year ants have been surprisingly thin on the
ground here. I've only found one smallish nest in a lawn - usually
I'll have got through a few tubes of ant powder by now. I've also been
very low on green- and black-fly this year - I wonder if there's some
relationship, given that ants farm aphids.

Lots of ladybirds and hoverflies though.
Old 28-06-2011, 10:15 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/06/2011 15:00, Mentalguy2k8 wrote:
Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

Not seen them flying yet, but lifted a brick yesterday and found flying
ants among the wingless, so it won't be long now.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London
Old 29-06-2011, 06:22 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing like as
many as last year, thankfully.

I haven't seen any this year. It's usually quite interesting to watch
so I don't try to kill them. I suppose that makes me a bit odd!

Steve

--
Neural network software applications, help and support.

Neural Planner Software www.NPSL1.com
Old 28-06-2011, 03:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Tue, 28 Jun 2011 15:04:13 +0100, Sacha wrote:
Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year.

My Daughter reported she had lots on Sunday.

--
Bob Harvey OETKB

Old 28-06-2011, 03:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year. I never know if
flying ants and ordinary ants are two different species, or if flying
ants are ants that have developed wings to go and find a new nest site!

Flying ants are ordinary ants, just a different caste. They are the
males and females that get to do a nuptial flight. After they have done
it the males die and the females start a new colony.

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.
--
Phil Cook
Old 28-06-2011, 03:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

Chris
--
Chris J Dixon Nottingham UK

Have dancing shoes, will ceilidh.
Old 28-06-2011, 04:03 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

--
Phil Cook
Old 28-06-2011, 05:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

Chris

Old 28-06-2011, 06:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Chris J Dixon" wrote ..

Phil Cook wrote:

Chris J Dixon wrote:
Phil Cook wrote:

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

Generally available?

http://www.vitax.co.uk/index.php/area/pest-control/ants-crawling-insects/nippon-ant-killer-liquid/

or http://tinyurl.com/6l9sgkt

I never found it particularly effective. Certainly didn't
eradicate them.

I found it had to be fresh Nippon liquid, even if it had just been in the
shop for a while it seems to loose it's killing power.

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 28-06-2011, 04:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On 2011-06-28 15:00:31 +0100, said:

Quite a few here on the South Coast yesterday afternoon, but nothing
like as many as last year, thankfully.

We've seen a very few but didn't see any last year. I never know if
flying ants and ordinary ants are two different species, or if flying
ants are ants that have developed wings to go and find a new nest site!

Flying ants are ordinary ants, just a different caste. They are the
males and females that get to do a nuptial flight. After they have done
it the males die and the females start a new colony.

Some tropical species are edible. In the Sudan, the trick is to make a
fire by the mouth of the nest, so the ants are simultaneously lightly
grilled and dewinged, so they crash conveniently.

I DO know that once you get ants inside an old wall or something of
that sort, you have them forever!

There are poisons that kill whole colonies.

--
Mike.