Old 28-06-2011, 11:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default anyone recognise this leaf?

I came across what appeared to be a self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley
Old 29-06-2011, 05:50 AM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart Robert Hinsley View Post
I came across what appeared to be a self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
-
First reaction is that it's a Sorbus., close to the S aria end of the spectrum. This is from the overall look of it, the texture, and the texture of the underside.
__________________
Old 29-06-2011, 09:10 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

I came across what appeared to be a self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

One of the rarer Oaks I think. Possibly Lucombe Oak.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/arboretum/tre...ts/lucombeoak/
R.

Old 29-06-2011, 05:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Ragnar" wrote ...

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wroteI came across what appeared to be a
self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

One of the rarer Oaks I think. Possibly Lucombe Oak.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/arboretum/tre...ts/lucombeoak/

Looks like it and it fits the description but do they seed around
successfully?

--
Regards
Bob Hobden

Old 29-06-2011, 06:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bob Hobden
writes
"Ragnar" wrote ...

"Stewart Robert Hinsley" wroteI came across what appeared to be a
self-sown sapling in a wooded
ravine. It was too shaded for photography, but I was to place a leaf in
a shaft of light so at least I got a photograph of that. Anyone
recognise it?

http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf01.jpg
http://www.stewart.hinsley.me.uk/Images/Leaf02.jpg
-- Stewart Robert Hinsley

One of the rarer Oaks I think. Possibly Lucombe Oak.
http://www.keele.ac.uk/arboretum/tre...ts/lucombeoak/

Looks like it and it fits the description but do they seed around
successfully?

I'd looked at illustrations of the leaves of Quercus x hispanica
(Lucombe oak - cerris x suber) and Quercus x turneri (Turner's oak -
ilex x robur), and it didn't seem to match either. (Both seemed to have
triangular, forwards-pointing teeth/lobes, and were less obviously
mucronate.)

However looking further around the web I find that Quercus x hispanica
leaf shape is variable, and this does fall within its range of
variation.

http://www.oaknames.org/search/fullname.asp?id=1376

Googling leaves me the impression the Quercus x hispanica does produce
viable seed, and Quercus x turneri doesn't.

Quercus cerris also turns out to be variable, with suspected cerris x
robur hybrids turning out to be cerris, but I doubt that it varies that
far.
--
Stewart Robert Hinsley

Old 01-07-2011, 01:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: Torquay S. Devon

It's an evergreen oak - Quercus ilex aka Holme Oak.
Old 01-07-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Poole View Post
It's an evergreen oak - Quercus ilex aka Holme Oak.
Quercus ilex has two kinds of leaves. On a mature tree the leaves aren't lobate at all, and and are quite small, leathery and hairy. On the younger trees which are bushy, the leaves are less leathery and hairy, much larger, and lobate. But the lobes are pointed - hence the name holly (ilex=holly) oak. It is quite confusing; for a while these were thought to be two separate species. I was examining some immature quercus ilex in Greece just a few weeks ago. My wife thought I was kidding her when I told her that is an oak.

But, in sum, it doesn't look like q. ilex leaves, in none of its various forms.