Old 06-07-2011, 12:28 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Aroniaberries

Just reading something about how good they are for you (My OH
automatically assumes they taste horrid in that case!)

Also known as the black chokeberry - I'm assuming it'll be available
for sale somewhere as a plant rather than just the fruit.

(Article in Daily Wail said it's ideal for scotland as it needs damp
and mild conditions)

--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 06-07-2011, 01:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Just reading something about how good they are for you (My OH
automatically assumes they taste horrid in that case!)

Also known as the black chokeberry - I'm assuming it'll be available
for sale somewhere as a plant rather than just the fruit.

(Article in Daily Wail said it's ideal for scotland as it needs damp
and mild conditions)

They're not very nice to eat, but they make godo jam mixed with something
else, such as blackcurrants.

I have one I bought in 50p bin at Wilkinsons. Had no idea what it was at
the time, but it's been a good cropper since.

I can send you a cutting in the autumn if you want one, although I've never
tried propogating it before, so I have no idea how good they are at taking
(it looks like a currant, but I may be fooling myself that it will take as
easily)
Old 06-07-2011, 04:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Jul 6, 12:28*pm, mogga wrote:
Just reading something about how good they are for you (My OH
automatically assumes they taste horrid in that case!)

Also known as the black chokeberry - I'm assuming it'll be available
for sale somewhere as a plant rather than just the fruit.

(Article in Daily Wail said it's ideal for scotland as it needs damp
and mild conditions)

--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

It's a well known fact that all medicine tastes bad.
If it doesn't taste bad it's no good.
The badder it tastes the better it is.
My granny told me this.
Old 06-07-2011, 04:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 6 Jul 2011 12:52:13 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
Just reading something about how good they are for you (My OH
automatically assumes they taste horrid in that case!)

Also known as the black chokeberry - I'm assuming it'll be available
for sale somewhere as a plant rather than just the fruit.

(Article in Daily Wail said it's ideal for scotland as it needs damp
and mild conditions)

They're not very nice to eat, but they make godo jam mixed with something
else, such as blackcurrants.

I have one I bought in 50p bin at Wilkinsons. Had no idea what it was at
the time, but it's been a good cropper since.

I can send you a cutting in the autumn if you want one, although I've never
tried propogating it before, so I have no idea how good they are at taking
(it looks like a currant, but I may be fooling myself that it will take as
easily)

Oo that would be very cool! I will email you!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 06-07-2011, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

mogga wrote:
[...]

--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Here is apic I took this evening of fruit on my young plant, I don't
know what it tastes like as the birds had the fruit last year before I
had a chance. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...erryunripe.jpg
David Hill

Old 07-07-2011, 10:31 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 15:35:23 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

mogga wrote:
[...]

That looks quite ornamental. I might get away with one of them in the
garden rather than on the plot!

If the birds eat it then that's a good sign?
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 07-07-2011, 12:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

Location: South Wales

had a chance.http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...lackchokeberry...
David Hill

That looks quite ornamental. I might get away with one of them in the
garden rather than on the plot!

If the birds eat it then that's a good sign?
--http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk- Hide quoted text -

Have a look at these people, they are where I got mine from
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/plantorders.html
Old 07-07-2011, 12:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

mogga wrote:
Here is apic I took this evening of fruit on my young plant, I don't
know what it tastes like as the birds had the fruit last year before I
had a chance. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...erryunripe.jpg

Yeah, mine looks like, that but the berries are darker (as in, I think they
start out darker, they never seem to be that green)

That looks quite ornamental. I might get away with one of them in the
garden rather than on the plot!

it's quite a pretty bush, and the berries are pretty with a little star on
their bottoms, too. the shape reminds me a bit of a bay.

If the birds eat it then that's a good sign?

Good sign of what? that you won't get many berries? :-P
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 7 Jul 2011 11:51:58 GMT, wrote:

mogga wrote:
Here is apic I took this evening of fruit on my young plant, I don't
know what it tastes like as the birds had the fruit last year before I
had a chance. http://i240.photobucket.com/albums/f...erryunripe.jpg

Yeah, mine looks like, that but the berries are darker (as in, I think they
start out darker, they never seem to be that green)

That looks quite ornamental. I might get away with one of them in the
garden rather than on the plot!

it's quite a pretty bush, and the berries are pretty with a little star on
their bottoms, too. the shape reminds me a bit of a bay.

If the birds eat it then that's a good sign?

Good sign of what? that you won't get many berries? :-P

Birds always eat the nice things...
I'm happy to share if there's a lot... Otherwise it's a fight to the
erm feathers.

Having seen a gang of magpies picking on a fox first thing I won't be
fighting them!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk
Old 07-07-2011, 01:00 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 7 Jul 2011 04:19:21 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill
wrote:

On Jul 7, 10:31*am, mogga wrote:
On Wed, 6 Jul 2011 15:35:23 -0700 (PDT), Dave Hill

Have a look at these people, they are where I got mine from
http://www.agroforestry.co.uk/plantorders.html

Thanks!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk

Old 08-07-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered User

Location: Chalfont St Giles

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogga View Post
If the birds eat it then that's a good sign?
Birds seem to like rowan berries, cotoneaster berries, etc. They eat every berberis berry off my bush before the ripen. They also happily eat satan-strength chillies. So, not necessarily, is the answer to that.