Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 17-07-2011, 09:59 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Best time of year to trim hedgerow

Hello -

I've inherited responsibility for maintaining a couple of hundred metres of
unkempt hedgerow in Devon. The hedge contains many different species, with
some of them being ferociously spiky. I've got a sturdy petrol hedgetrimmer
with a longish reach, and I don't mind the exercise at all.

What's the best time for trimming it? It seems a pity to trim it now,
because it's full of berries, insects and birds.
The local farmers seem to trim their hedges in the early autumn, but would
that deprive the birds of berries for the winter?

Any tips gratefully received.

Walnut in a hedgerow ? angel_orto Gardening 4 04-05-2010 04:52 PM
Has anybody planted a fairly long hedgerow? Ben Phlat Gardening 4 14-12-2006 12:34 AM
hedgerow H Ryder United Kingdom 7 20-07-2005 05:50 PM
Best time to trim oak? (now I am lost) Steve Coyle Texas 2 18-07-2003 12:02 AM
Best time to trim oak? David Texas 8 16-07-2003 05:45 AM