Old 28-07-2011, 09:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default Flooded Tomatoes

Asked a neighbour to switch on my drip water system for an hour last
night, as I was out all afternoon and evening.

Went down to greenhouse this morning and found he had left the tap on
all night! (His excuse, he had a long phone call, then forgot).

I promptly stabbed a hole in the side of the grow bags, about half an
inch up, and made sure all the water at that level drianed out, bu I
suspect I've got a very wet set of roots now. If I puntcure the bottom
of the bag, I'll have problems watering/feeding so what do I do, if
anything! and what effect will the swim have on the tomato plants?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales
Old 28-07-2011, 09:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Roger Tonkin" wrote in message
Asked a neighbour to switch on my drip water system for an hour last
night, as I was out all afternoon and evening.

Went down to greenhouse this morning and found he had left the tap on
all night! (His excuse, he had a long phone call, then forgot).

I promptly stabbed a hole in the side of the grow bags, about half an
inch up, and made sure all the water at that level drianed out, bu I
suspect I've got a very wet set of roots now. If I puntcure the bottom
of the bag, I'll have problems watering/feeding so what do I do, if
anything! and what effect will the swim have on the tomato plants?

--
Roger T

700 ft up in Mid-Wales

Seeing as they grow Tomatoes hydraponicaly here, (or however you spell it)
..............nothing :-))

Mike

Old 29-07-2011, 09:36 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
Roger Tonkin writes
Asked a neighbour to switch on my drip water system for an hour last
night, as I was out all afternoon and evening.

Went down to greenhouse this morning and found he had left the tap on
all night! (His excuse, he had a long phone call, then forgot).

BTDTGTTS with our own systems before now.

I promptly stabbed a hole in the side of the grow bags, about half an
inch up, and made sure all the water at that level drianed out,

I put holes in the side of growbags anyway, so as to give some drainage
in case of too much water.
bu I
suspect I've got a very wet set of roots now. If I puntcure the bottom
of the bag, I'll have problems watering/feeding so what do I do, if
anything! and what effect will the swim have on the tomato plants?

I think they will be fine. Sure waterlogging of the roots isn't
generally a good idea for any length of time, but occasionally won't do
any harm to the toms - and they slurp up so much water I don't suppose
it will stay in the growbag for long
--
Chris French

Old 29-07-2011, 10:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 28/07/2011 21:35, Roger Tonkin wrote:
Asked a neighbour to switch on my drip water system for an hour last
night, as I was out all afternoon and evening.

Went down to greenhouse this morning and found he had left the tap on
all night! (His excuse, he had a long phone call, then forgot).

I promptly stabbed a hole in the side of the grow bags, about half an
inch up, and made sure all the water at that level drianed out, bu I
suspect I've got a very wet set of roots now. If I puntcure the bottom
of the bag, I'll have problems watering/feeding so what do I do, if
anything! and what effect will the swim have on the tomato plants?

Almost none provided that you don't do it too often.

It might even encourage them to grow a bit faster. Classic ring culture
provides a big pot of water on coke underneath the plant and they seem
to thrive on it. Very thirsty plants! The problem is if you do it for
too long and the compost goes anaerobic then bad things will happen, but
for a day or so it won't do any harm and might even do some good.

Regards,
Martin Brown
Old 30-07-2011, 10:52 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On Thu, 28 Jul 2011 21:35:28 +0100, Roger Tonkin
wrote:

Asked a neighbour to switch on my drip water system for an hour last
night, as I was out all afternoon and evening.

Went down to greenhouse this morning and found he had left the tap on
all night! (His excuse, he had a long phone call, then forgot).

I promptly stabbed a hole in the side of the grow bags, about half an
inch up, and made sure all the water at that level drianed out, bu I
suspect I've got a very wet set of roots now. If I puntcure the bottom
of the bag, I'll have problems watering/feeding so what do I do, if
anything! and what effect will the swim have on the tomato plants?

If it's been as hot as here then it was probably helpful!
--
http://www.voucherfreebies.co.uk