Old 03-08-2011, 09:06 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Default Turn your back for a minute ...

Picked courgettes on Weds last week, meant to pick again on Thursday to get
the small ones to take for my mum as we wouldn't be back for a few days.
Didn't get a chance, but didn't think they'd be huge cos of the lack of
rain. Went last night and they're about 3' long and over 6" diameter!
Picked about 12 (more than half of that giant size, the rest medium size)
and left another half dozen or so that will be picking size by today.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:04 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
No Name

Martin Brown wrote:
Chutney or soup - by the sounds of it both. There is a limit to how much
Ratatouille you can consume in one season and stay sane.

Actually, there's not that much of a limit on how much
butter-fried-courgette I can eat, I am happy to eat it all meals.
Unfortunately Nick and Daniel aren't so keen.

However - gardening club show is coming up, and I do need to try making
chutney this year, I think. Possibly left it a bit late, less than 3 weeks
to go now. But I may still give it a try. Anyone got a useful recipe?
(I'm unlikely to even consider eating the vile stuff!)

Fresh small ones are great stir fried with a half a chilli - and
spaghetti somewhat more interesting that way. After a while you start
dreaming of recipes that use courgettes but taste of something else!

I like my courgettes to taste of courgette. I made courgette fried rice
(with rice from the chinese takeaway cos Nick didn't want to cook!!) last
night, and have the leftovers for lunch.

I've made courgette cake before now - a bit odd with green ones, but I have
yellows as well this year, so it may look less scary. But I always found
they tasted a bit odd.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:49 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message ,
writes
Martin Brown wrote:
Chutney or soup - by the sounds of it both. There is a limit to how much
Ratatouille you can consume in one season and stay sane.

Actually, there's not that much of a limit on how much
butter-fried-courgette I can eat, I am happy to eat it all meals.
Unfortunately Nick and Daniel aren't so keen.

Me and Helen like them fried in a ridge griddle pan.

However - gardening club show is coming up, and I do need to try making
chutney this year, I think. Possibly left it a bit late, less than 3 weeks
to go now. But I may still give it a try. Anyone got a useful recipe?
(I'm unlikely to even consider eating the vile stuff!)

We've have one, I'll look it up later.

Fresh small ones are great stir fried with a half a chilli - and
spaghetti somewhat more interesting that way. After a while you start
dreaming of recipes that use courgettes but taste of something else!

I like my courgettes to taste of courgette. I made courgette fried rice
(with rice from the chinese takeaway cos Nick didn't want to cook!!) last
night, and have the leftovers for lunch.

I've made courgette cake before now - a bit odd with green ones, but I have
yellows as well this year, so it may look less scary. But I always found
they tasted a bit odd.

There is a recipe in the kitchen Garden mag latest issue for Courgette,
carrot and chocolate cake I think i'll try.

We went away for 3 weeks in July (which is usual, we tend not to have
long holidays in the summer). Boy did the weeds (which looked all under
control when we left) have a good time
--
Chris French

Old 03-08-2011, 04:24 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 03/08/2011 14:49, chris French wrote:
In message ,
writes
Martin Brown wrote:
[...]

I have the same problem, also with runner beans. Both seem to grow so
fast I wonder if it ones I missed the last time!