Old 06-08-2011, 02:44 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default when to pick peaches

We have a peach tree espaliered against a south facing stone wall, and
every few years it gives fruit. This is one such, no late freezes, and
it's really loaded down. They're kind of small because of the drought
conditions in Normandy. (It's raining now, bless. Need much more.)
Still, they are now ripening and are very red but still pretty hard.

Close enough that the wasps and hornets are getting tucked in, though,
and the dog is starting to help himself which has the unfortunate effect
of rapidly increasing his intestinal transit time (to put it as
delicately as possible).

I'm wondering it they will continue to ripen well if I pick the lot now
or go all mealy, does anyone have any experience? They're a white
variety called Madame Girard.

I'd imagine that most commercial peaches are picked when hard, no sure
if they're treated in any way. And of course, it will be something to
deal with 10 kgs or so arriving ripe all at once...

Thanks,

Old 06-08-2011, 06:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Emery Davis" wrote in message
[...]

Pick one and try it.

Old 06-08-2011, 07:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 08/06/2011 07:40 PM, harryagain wrote:
Pick one and try it.

I did of course (or rather my son did). It's not ripe, but not too far
off. The question is how well it will ripen off the tree without
treatment, so the bugs don't get them.
Old 10-08-2011, 01:19 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

On 06/08/2011 19:52, Emery Davis wrote:
On 08/06/2011 07:40 PM, harryagain wrote:
Pick one and try it.

I did of course (or rather my son did). It's not ripe, but not too far
off. The question is how well it will ripen off the tree without
treatment, so the bugs don't get them.

Pick a few for your fruit dish. Leave the rest on the tree till you see
what happens when the picked ones ripen enough to eat. Doesn't sound
like you'll have to wait long.

--
Spider
from high ground in SE London

Time to pick up the crappy peaches again John Bachman Gardening 6 29-09-2007 07:52 PM
peaches freebird Australia 6 18-02-2004 11:32 AM
squirrels and peaches Dianna Visek Edible Gardening 22 05-01-2004 06:32 AM
Peaches Falling Off zebrin Gardening 2 12-07-2003 11:08 PM
Advice on Peaches Spacewalkman Texas 2 15-04-2003 03:56 PM