Old 11-08-2011, 06:46 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How bad is bad?

In article , Kay
writes
What has also changed is the level of inequality as measured for example by
the proportion of wealth owned by the richest few and the disparity between
the highest and lowest remuneration within an organisation.

Not to be splitting hairs but if it weren't for the select few who
accumulated a fair amount of money we wouldn't have some very lovely
gardens to visit, they'd all be little cardboard box homes and estates.
No Highgrove, Stowe, or Munstead Wood, no Hampton Court, Coton Manor,
Cottesbrooke.

(To get the thread back to gardening)
--
Janet Tweedy
Dalmatian Telegraph
Old 12-08-2011, 05:40 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Janet Tweedy
writes

Not to be splitting hairs but if it weren't for the select few who
accumulated a fair amount of money we wouldn't have some very lovely
gardens to visit, they'd all be little cardboard box homes and estates.
No Highgrove, Stowe, or Munstead Wood, no Hampton Court, Coton Manor,
Cottesbrooke.

(To get the thread back to gardening)

I didn't even look at the entry fees, we did go to Hampton Court from a
Thames cruiser, but that was in the 70s, and I only remember the maze.
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 12-08-2011, 09:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Styx
Lawyer writes
Not to be splitting hairs but if it weren't for the select few who
accumulated a fair amount of money we wouldn't have some very lovely
gardens to visit, they'd all be little cardboard box homes and estates.

With cottage gardens.

Judging by what the average home owner wants (according to the media) it
will be a hot tub, decking, tree ferns some sort of structure oh yes and
maybe three plants but 'easy' ones!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:23 PM
kay kay is offline
Registered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacha[_4_] View Post
one of the things that seems to have gone by the
board is the concept of "it takes a village to bring up a child". The
'old days' of parents, grand parents, aunts and uncles, all keeping an
eye out for the neighbourhood children, have gone.
That's one of the consequences of a more mobile society. I have no relatives within 150miles. The reasonable advice to the unemployed to be prepared to move to where the work is has the side effect of moving young families away from the extended family and settling them into an area where they know no-one.
__________________
Old 11-08-2011, 05:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Sacha
writes
On 2011-08-10 19:18:11 +0100, Kay said:

What has also changed is the level of inequality as measured for
example by
the proportion of wealth owned by the richest few and the disparity between
the highest and lowest remuneration within an organisation.

This has been the norm in many countries for centuries. It has not led
to widespread rioting and looting by a comparatively small number who
think themselves untouchable by law.

Has the "Arab Spring" completely escaped your notice?
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply