Old 10-08-2011, 08:18 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How bad is bad?

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:41:51 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
. ..
Amongst root causes are no hope of employment in some areas, the
opportunity to steal things that rioters could never afford and
"having fun".
--

Martin

Whilst agreeing with the above, I believe you haven't gone far enough.
Before the "no hope " stage arrives, people - i.e. children/youths need to
have been taught respect for their elders.

Only a small minority are out of control.

This goes even further back to
their school days where lack of discipline was / is rife.

The abolishment of corporal punishment was the start of the rot. No one
ever wanted to "beat up" children for misbehaving, but a short sharp shock
worked wonders

for the applier of corporal punishment?

Rmember Willy Whitlelaw's proposal which got nowhere ?

In retrospect we can appreciate the wisdow of our own education, I assume
we
are all well behaved pillars of society !

At the school I went to only the bad teachers resorted to corporal
punishment.
--

Martin

"Corporal Punishments" is such a strong phrase - not invented by me, but it
must be remembered that the cane never did any real harm - it did more good
than harm. One only got the cane if one misbehaved, was cheeky or rude -
tendencies which needed to be corrected. The pillars of society at the time
of its abolition had in all probability received the cane at some time. The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

There were, without doubt, bad teachers who went beyond the ethos of good
discipline.

Bill

Old 10-08-2011, 08:25 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
[...]

I went to a Private School and the Slipper was very effective.

But here is an interesting thought, to what degree did a Private education
'implant' a different, more adult/responsible 'mind' in the body? We have
quite a 'sprinkling' of privately educated people in our family and the
thought of any of them running amok as the looters and crowds have been
doing shocks us. The resulting qualifications and professions speaks
volumes.

Mike

Old 10-08-2011, 08:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"'Mike'" wrote in message

"Bill Grey" wrote in message

"Martin" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 09:41:51 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Martin" wrote in message
m...
[...]

This is what is encompassed by the term Corporal Punishment.
Hardly compatible with the term.

I'm with you on this Mike

Bill

Old 11-08-2011, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , 'Mike'
writes

I went to a Private School and the Slipper was very effective.

I went to a Grammar school and the teachers managed without the cane,
though one teacher did always have a plimsole on the blackboard shelf,
which he nave used.

But here is an interesting thought, to what degree did a Private education
'implant' a different, more adult/responsible 'mind' in the body? We have
quite a 'sprinkling' of privately educated people in our family and the
thought of any of them running amok as the looters and crowds have been
doing shocks us. The resulting qualifications and professions speaks
volumes.
Mike

I'm sure that the thrashings which out senior politicians received at
their various[1] educational establishments helped to imbue them with a
strong sense of superiority and an intense desire to get their own back
by bashing the workers.

Of course there is always the danger of them acquiring a taste for
domination or self-abasement, which could be embarrassing if it came to
light at the peak of their careers.

What was the name of that politician who was found deceased with an
orange in his mouth and wearing stockings and suspenders?
Some kind of eroticism involving partial asphyxiation, I assume?

[1] Not actually very varied - most are from the same stable...
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply
Old 11-08-2011, 04:51 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Bill Grey
writes

One only got the cane if one misbehaved, was cheeky or rude -
tendencies which needed to be corrected.

Not true, I'm afraid. My mate and I were sent for the cane (a
narrow springy rod) administered with relish by headmaster Hiles because
we had lost track of where we were up to in a read-aloud session.

One of my mates fared even worse. He had constructed a wooden teapot
stand in a woodwork lesson, and had done such a good job that he was
told to go and show it to Mr Hiles.

He knocked on the door, and before he had time to say anything, Hiles
had grabbed the cane and told him to hold out his hand!

It took a desperate plea before he was allowed to tell the real reason
he had been sent to see the Head!
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply

Old 11-08-2011, 09:36 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:18:21 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:
[...]
The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

Did you miss the history lessons at school? If you want to catch up,
it would be fun to investigate the celebrated London Mob, and various
big-city riots of earlier centuries when the do-badders were still in
charge as nature intended. Oh, and the street crime: that was pretty
fruity, too.

--
Mike.
Old 12-08-2011, 11:46 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:18:21 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:
[...]
The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

Did you miss the history lessons at school? If you want to catch up,
it would be fun to investigate the celebrated London Mob, and various
big-city riots of earlier centuries when the do-badders were still in
charge as nature intended. Oh, and the street crime: that was pretty
fruity, too.

--
Mike.

Who's talkng about earlier centuries?? I refer the period covered by the
last 50 tears or so. No one listened to Mary Whitehouse, yet now we are all
paying for innumerable illegitimate children the product of unbridled
promiscuity. I'm not changing the subject but illustrating the effect of
the relaxation of moral standards.

Behaving in a socially aceptable manner starts with youngsters being aware
of their place and responsibilities in society.

The do-gooders are the ones who relaxed the means of teaching the rules of
good behaviour.

Bill

Old 12-08-2011, 01:38 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Registered User

On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 11:46:59 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:

"Mike Lyle" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:18:21 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:
[...]
The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

Did you miss the history lessons at school? If you want to catch up,
it would be fun to investigate the celebrated London Mob, and various
big-city riots of earlier centuries when the do-badders were still in
charge as nature intended. Oh, and the street crime: that was pretty
fruity, too.

--
Mike.

Who's talkng about earlier centuries?? I refer the period covered by the
last 50 tears or so.

You're the one pointing to _changes_: that would be meaningless if you
weren't comparing with what went before. So you _are_ talking about
earlier periods, when "do-gooders" weren't in charge.

No one listened to Mary Whitehouse, yet now we are all
paying for innumerable illegitimate children the product of unbridled
promiscuity. I'm not changing the subject but illustrating the effect of
the relaxation of moral standards.

They do say that a fish rots from the head. Biologically questionable,
but a telling metaphor.

Behaving in a socially aceptable manner starts with youngsters being aware
of their place and responsibilities in society.

The do-gooders are the ones who relaxed the means of teaching the rules of
good behaviour.

It's never quite clear what do-badders mean by "do--gooders"; but I
doubt if the expression includes those who use huge publicity budgets
and influence to promote alcohol, casual sex, gambling, and
acquisitiveness.

If I were given to slogan T-shirts, I'd be wearing the one declaring
"It's probably more complicated than that..."

--
Mike.
Old 12-08-2011, 02:23 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In article , Mike Lyle
writes

If I were given to slogan T-shirts, I'd be wearing the one declaring
"It's probably more complicated than that..."

I prefer the tee shirt my daughter bought.
(typo added for the protection of the sensitive)

'Feck Google. Ask me!'

--
regards andyw
Old 12-08-2011, 05:06 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

This bad!
http://share.ovi.com/media/Muddymike...uddymike.10822

Mike

Old 12-08-2011, 05:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

In message , Mike Lyle
writes
On Wed, 10 Aug 2011 20:18:21 +0100, "Bill Grey"
wrote:
[...]
The
"do-gooders" have ruined society and we are now reaping the products of
their actions.

Did you miss the history lessons at school? If you want to catch up,
it would be fun to investigate the celebrated London Mob, and various
big-city riots of earlier centuries when the do-badders were still in
charge as nature intended. Oh, and the street crime: that was pretty
fruity, too.

Those comments sent me to my bookshelves, to find a book written in
1895:

"Twentyfive Years of Detective Life" By Jerome Caminada.
As I opened it I was delighted to find that it is a signed copy, and
belonged to my paternal grandfather.

It tells many stories of the "baddies" in Manchester, presumably in the
late 19th Century, with line illustrations.

I am tempted to open it up and read, perhaps as an alternative to
reading about gardening riots. ;-)

One hardback copy is advertised at £150, but it doesn't say whether it
is signed...
Others are cheaper

http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&k...&tag=googhydr-
21&index=stripbooks&hvadid=8523354425&ref=pd_sl_6a z03w18f5_b
--
Gordon H
Remove "invalid" to reply