Old 22-08-2011, 01:27 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening

Default How does spider mite attack actually kill a plant?

On 20/08/2011 12:37, wrote:
In ,
wrote:

Actually, I think that they suck the sap out of the cells, so those
cells will die. That is why the leaves go white and don't recover
even if you kill the RSM.

They generally only inflict cosmetic damage on thicker leaves turning
them silver with scar tissue. Certainly not good for the plant and
potentially disfiguring on cacti but hardly ever lethal.

Onsce the pnat ppears totally dead, is there a best-chance remedy left to
try, such as cutting the branches off ain the hope that a new shoot might
appear? Presumably the roots are unaffected?

Generally, just spray the hell out of it with soft soap or detergent
and meths, keep it damp and warm, and see what happens. Some plants

I discovered the hard way that this is a very effective Organic(TM) way
to kill bay trees. The wetting agent does for their waxy coating and the
leaves all dessicate a few days later. I don't like using potent
insecticides on kitchen herbs, but I was surprised how much the bay
disliked the treatment I gave it for scale insect (worse than the pest).

sprout from low down (even the roots), but others sprout better from
younger wood. And some won't regrow at all. Cut the dead stuff off
after it has started to regrow.

I'd be inclined to use something a bit stronger against rsm on
ornamentals and also to put it outside in summer away from the dry heat
indoors. This will at least slow them down a bit.

As Nick has said don't bother cutting bits off until it is showing signs
of regrowth and do be sure to stay on top of any rsm that appear. Their
lifecycle is about two weeks so the next batch of eggs will hatch in a
fortnight even if you killed every adult stone dead.

Regards,
Martin Brown